When you’re making a comforting pot roast dinner, you want to make sure you pair an equally delicious side dish with it. We’ve included more than 52 great side dishes that are perfect for pot roast! From quick and easy options for those time-crunched evenings to wholesome and healthy sides that promise a nutritious boost, these recipes are designed to complement your mouthwatering pot roast.
The Best Pot Roast Recipes
There’s something magical about the way a perfectly seasoned roast transforms into a melt-in-your-mouth masterpiece. If you’re on the hunt for a go-to tender pot roast recipe that’s delicious, doable and uses simple ingredients, look no further. Depending on your mood, I’ve got you covered with my favorite pot roast recipes that are bursting with flavor. Pair these with one of my side suggestions below and you’ll have a well rounded meal that is perfect for you and your family, or even a crowd!
- Crockpot Roast
- French Onion Pot Roast
- Easy Tuscan Pot Roast
- Bacon Ranch Pot Roast
- Mississippi Pot Roast
Perfect Side Dishes for Pot Roast
Dig into a delicious pot roast dinner with my top picks for sides – the ones I rely on as a busy mom. These are the tried-and-true recipes that add flavor to our family meals, making every bite satisfying and stress-free!
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Green Beans
- Sauteed Spinach
- Yorkshire Pudding
- Arugula Salad
- Roasted Mashed Cauliflower – you won’t even miss potatoes!
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus – Air fryer asparagus is also great if you have one.
- Sauteed Green Beans – Garlic and green beans come together in this fast, healthy vegetable side that’s SO easy. Topping these with a little lemon juice is also delicious.
Quick and Easy Side Dishes for Pot Roast
These are the best pot roast sides! Some you have seen before but others are hopefully new to you. These side dishes are designed to save you time while still adding delicious flavors to your pot roast dinner.
- Sautéed Mushrooms with Garlic Butter
- Garlic Roasted Veggies
- Steamed Broccoli with Lemon Butter – Quickly steam broccoli and toss it with melted butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon for a bright and easy side.
- Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts – top with some green onions for something a little extra!
- Parmesan Cheese Roasted Cauliflower
- Caramelized Onions
- Coleslaw – Mix pre-shredded cabbage with a simple dressing of mayonnaise, vinegar, and a touch of sugar for a refreshing slaw.
Family Friendly Side Dishes for Pot Roast
These family-friendly sides offer a variety of flavors and textures that will appeal to both kids and adults, making your pot roast dinner a hit with the whole family!
- Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese – This is Grandma’s baked, yet oh so creamy mac that is perfect!
- Brown Butter Broccoli – A family favorite!
- Corn on the Cob
- A simple mixture of egg noodles, a light coating of olive oil, sprinkle of fresh herbs, and pepper topped with cherry tomatoes is so simple, yet perfect alongside any comfort food you’re serving.
- Maple Glazed Carrots – A classic side everyone enjoys!
- Fruit Salad – A refreshing fruit salad with a mix of seasonal fruits adds a light and vibrant element to the meal.
Classic Potato Sides to go with Pot Roast
These potato delights bring an extra layer of warmth and satisfaction to your family dinner table.
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – Don’t forget the sour cream and cheddar cheese!
- Easy Homemade Mashed Potatoes – If you make gravy, you must serve your pot roast with gravy as well!
- Savory Sweet Potatoes – This is my favorite sweet potato recipe!
- Crispy Ranch Smashed Potatoes
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Light Salad Side Dishes for Pot Roast
This collection of classic salad side dishes provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and savory flavors. Salads add a burst of freshness and balance to your hearty pot roast feast.
- Classic Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Side Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Steakhouse Salad
- Side salad with ranch dressing
- Side salad with Italian dressing
The Best Side Dishes (Casserole Edition) for Pot Roast
What is a roast beef dinner without some of the best casserole side dishes? Here are some classic casseroles that are full of flavor and pair well with pot roast. They are equally delicious and cozy!
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole – a crowd favorite
- Green Bean Casserole
- Southern Squash Casserole
- Crockpot Corn Casserole
- Jiffy Corn Casserole – people always ask for this recipe!
Bread and Grain Side Dishes for Pot Roast
From buttery dinner rolls that soak up savory juices to herb-infused rice, these turn your pot roast dinner into a nutritious feast for the whole family.
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread – A big pan of this paired with your pot roast will satisfy the whole family.
- Garlic Bread
- No Yeast Rolls
- The Best Buttermilk Biscuits
- Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Lemon Rice – Top your rice with your shredded pot roast meat.
- Herb-Infused Rice Pilaf – Serve a fragrant rice pilaf with herbs and broth to add a light and fluffy side to your pot roast.
The Best Soups for Pot Roast
Soup sides are a welcome addition that takes the coziness of your family dinner up a notch. Every spoonful is a delight alongside the savory flavors of your pot roast.
The Best Desserts to Serve After Comforting Meal
Everyone deserves a delicious dessert after a meal like this! These desserts really continue over the comfort flavors from the pot roast.
- Gooey Pecan Bars
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake
- Churro Cheesecake Bars
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Bars
- Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Glaze
These quick and easy recipes should give you a great start to figuring out what side you should serve with your pot roast. If you need more ideas, feel free to browse all of my readers favorite recipes, weeknight chicken dinners, or easy dinner ideas here! If you’re looking for leftover ideas for roast beef, I have put together a great list here.
If there is a great side dish recipe for Pot Roast that I left off the list, make sure and let me know in the comments!
What do you serve with Pot Roast?
Traditional sides to serve with Pot Roast are usually mashed potatoes, a green salad or a veggie like brussels sprouts or carrots.
What cut of beef is pot roast?
The best meat for pot roast is chuck roast, beef brisket or bottom round roast. These cuts make the pot roast melt-in-your-mouth tender.
How long do pot roast leftovers last?
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
in the freezer up to a month
Can I make pot roast ahead of time?
Yes, definitely! With my recipes you can bring the dish to room temperature and reheat your pot roast. Place your meat into a covered roasting pan with a splash of beef broth in a 325ºF oven until it’s warmed through (5-10 minutes).
- 24 oz baby red potatoes
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil, + 1 Tbsp extra
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Boil the potatoes about 20-30 minutes or until the fork not only can pierce the potato, and are also very tender. Then drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Mix the garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Spread 2 tbsp of olive oil on a baking sheet so that it is completely covered, then arrange the potatoes on the cookie sheet so that they are evenly spaced.
- Use a potato masher or the bottom of a glass to smash each potato until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Then sprinkle the seasoning directly on top of each potato and finish by drizzling the remaining olive oil over each potato generously.
- Bake at 425˚F for 25-30 minutes or until the edges of the potatoes are browned and crispy. Serve hot and enjoy!
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month