Try this simple and delicious Crockpot BBQ Chicken for the best easy dinner idea! With just 3 simple ingredients you’ll have a outstanding shredded chicken recipe ready in no time. Let the slow cooker do the work for a hassle-free weeknight meal. Serve this crockpot BBQ shredded chicken in sandwiches, over mashed potatoes, or with roasted vegetables for a healthier option – the possibilities are endless!
Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken – The EASY Way!
The tangy ranch and smoky BBQ sauce create an unforgettable flavor combination for this pulled BBQ chicken in the crockpot recipe that will leave you craving more. It’s a weeknight meal winner that’s kid-friendly, hands-off, and even a great addition to a cookout! I also like to use it for my Crockpot BBQ Ranch Chicken Sliders.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- A true “set it and forget it” recipe – One big reason to love this crockpot shredded BBQ chicken recipe is that it’s “hands-off.” Just toss the ingredients into the slow cooker and let it cook on its own without needing constant attention. It’s super convenient and saves time for busy days!
- Just 3 ingredients! – Tender shredded chicken combined with zesty ranch seasoning and smoky barbecue sauce for a delicious slow cooker recipe with big flavor.
- Make-Ahead Option – Prepare a larger batch and store leftovers for future meals or quick lunches.
- Great dinner idea – Not only is this easy chicken recipe perfect for feeding your family, but you can also share the love with others, such as an expecting mom, grandparents, or at a family gathering.
What to Serve with Easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Since this dish has the classic flavors of smoky BBQ sauce and juicy chicken, it will pair well with many of your favorite dinner side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
SIDE DISH IDEAS
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Simple and knocks it out of the park!
- Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese – a recipe handed down through generations in our family
- Broccoli Slaw
- Italian House Salad
- Corn on the Cob with Garlic Butter– Super fast when you need something quick!
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole– Our copycat version
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This crockpot BBQ chicken breasts recipe is simple as promised! Just 5 minutes of prep and a low and slow crockpot recipe, perfect for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
INGREDIENTS + SUBSTITUTIONS
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts to make this shredded BBQ chicken recipe, but you could easily swap them for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Ranch seasoning – Mix up your own ranch seasoning mix or use a packet of store bought.
- BBQ sauce – This ingredient depends on what your favorite flavored sauce is. I love making this crockpot BBQ chicken recipe with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, and think it has a delicious balance of sweet and smoky flavors, but you can use your favorite variety
- Don’t overcook the chicken -There is a common misconception that chicken cannot be overcooked in a slow cooker, and it’s often thought that since a crockpot doesn’t burn food, it won’t overcook it either. However, cooking chicken at a constant temperature for too long can still result in tough and chewy meat. To avoid this, it is recommended to switch the crockpot to a warm setting once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. This will help to maintain the quality of the meat until it is ready to be served.
- Shred with two forks – Once the chicken is ready, you should be able to easily shred it into the sauce with two forks. It will be juicy and tender, soaking in all the juices and BBQ sauce for a delicious meal. Alternately, you can use
- Serve in a variety of ways – Get creative with serving options! Try as a pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches, tacos, wraps, salads, or as a delicious topping for a baked potato.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Use Frozen Chicken -If you’re in a hurry, you can use frozen chicken directly in the slow cooker. Just add some extra cooking time.
- Cook on High – If you’re short on time, cook the chicken on high heat in the slow cooker for a faster result (around 2-3 hours).
- Instant Pot Method – If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can use the Instant Pot on the pressure cook setting for faster results. It takes only around 10-15 minutes of cooking time.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- BBQ Pineapple Crockpot Chicken– Keep the same recipe but add in a can of crushed pineapples. It adds a delicious fruity flavor and pairs perfectly with the BBQ sauce.
- Korean BBQ Crockpot Chicken– Swap for a Korean BBQ sauce and leave out the ranch for another flavor variety! Then serve with an Asain coleslaw on a sesame seed bun.
- Shredded Chicken Sliders– You can’t go wrong with this easy slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe! It’s perfect for adding to Hawaiian rolls and topped with a mouth-watering savory glaze. Baked in the oven with melted cheese, it’s an irresistible combination.
Freezer Meal Instructions
Making this crockpot barbeque chicken recipe into a freezer meal is simple! Follow the steps below and you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Cool the Chicken: Allow the shredded BBQ chicken to cool completely.
- Portion the Chicken: Divide the cooled, shredded BBQ chicken into meal-sized portions using resealable freezer bags or airtight containers.
- Freeze: Remove any excess air from your containers and freeze.
Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making BBQ chicken in the crockpot, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole– Make another dinner recipe with your leftovers by tossing them with cheese, beans, corn, and other add in’s for something different and tasty.
- BBQ Chicken Crockpot Sandwiches– Add your sauced shredded chicken to a burger bun, sliced bread, or in a wrap for a delicious way to enjoy leftovers the next day.
- BBQ Chicken Enchiladas– Fill tortillas with leftover bbq chicken and your favorite add ins, top with green enchilada sauce and cheese, and bake. It’s super easy and comes together really quick for another meal.
- BBQ Chicken Nachos– This is a fun way to enjoy leftovers with smoky bbq sauce layered over nachos with cheese, avocado, jalapeños, onions, tomatoes, and any other nacho toppings you like!
- BBQ Chicken French Bread Pizza – This is one of my kids favorites!!
More Crockpot Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Crockpot recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Crockpot Lemonade Chicken
- Crockpot Turkey Tenderloin
- Crockpot Marry Me Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, or chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch seasoning, (1 packet)
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce, (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- Lay the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cover chicken with ranch seasoning on both sides. Pour the BBQ sauce over the top of the chicken to cover.
- Cover crockpot and cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or low for 3.5-4 hours.*Time may vary depending on the size of your slow cooker and the thickness of the chicken breast.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, use forks to shred the chicken, then stir it into the BBQ sauce mixture. Serve warm and enjoy!