These are the BEST tacos you will make. Trust me when I say, your kids will devour them and be asking for seconds. We use ground turkey all the time in our house, and this recipe will have you converted as well. These ground turkey tacos are seasoned with cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, rich tomato flavors and more. In addition to being the best ground taco meat I have ever had, it is also naturally gluten free, dairy free, paleo, whole30 compliant, keto, and low carb.
Ground Turkey Tacos Recipe
I absolutely love taco meat, and I’m always finding ways to spice it up. Once I created this recipe, I have never gone back to others. We love these turkey tacos in our house.
This taco meat changes everything! It is the perfect combination of tender and flavorful and compliments the shell, the crisp lettuce, the cheese, but also stands on it’s own so when you get a bite you think, “oh now this is good!”
This recipe is also great because it is naturally gluten free, dairy free, low carb and kid friendly! You can also use this recipe is so many more recipes, because you know me, I like to use all my recipes in other things as well.
How to Serve Turkey Tacos
First of all when I ma serving tacos I determine what taco shell I want to serve them with. A few of our favorites are corn tortillas, flour tortillas, hard shells, or lettuce wraps.
Toppings for Ground Turkey Tacos
The thing I love about tacos is that my kids can assemble them the way they would like to eat them. I find they eat better when they make them themselves. Win all around!
- Pico De Gallo
- Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced Green Onions
- Lettuce- my favorite is Romaine
- Black Olives
What to serve with Ground Turkey Tacos
These are a few of our favorite sides to serve with tacos.
- beans- refried, black or pinto
- mexican style corn
- chips served with salsa and/or guacamole
- sauteed peppers and onions
- mexican cornbread
Low carb serving options are:
- mexican cauliflower rice
- side salad
- veggies roasted with a olive oil and a little taco seasoning
- sauteed greens
You can pick and choose 1-3 of these options to add to the meal for a filling dinner. I try to give a good range of suggestions but if I missed something delicious, let me know in the comments so I can add it to the list!
How to Cook Ground Turkey for Tacos
This recipe is super simple and easy to follow. Sauté the meat in a skillet over medium high heat until brown. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and my homemade taco seasoning. Keep stirring and cooking until all the excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and serve!!
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes this recipe is gluten free as long as you use my homemade taco seasoning. If you are in a pinch and use store bought seasoning, make sure it is gluten free.
Can I use other ground meat?
Yes, you can use whatever ground meat you desire, the nutrition calculations may differ.
What to do with Ground Turkey Taco Leftovers
I always try and make extra meat because I love using this for other recipes or when I am meal prepping for the week. This meat is so flavorful it can be eaten alone or with other toppings.
How to Store Ground Turkey Tacos
This ground turkey taco meat can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze Ground Turkey Taco Meat
You can freeze this meat after cooking for up to 1 month in an airtight container. Just re-heat before serving in a skillet or microwave.
Leftover Recipe Ideas for Ground Turkey Tacos
- Taco Salad– I love making this salad with my leftover meat. Use chopped lettuce and topping of your choice to create the perfect taco salad.
- Taco Zucchini Boats– These are a great low carb option to try.
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers– My family loves stuffed peppers and this is a fun twist on the traditional pepper.
- Tostadas- Top your favorite taco toppings on top of a tostada shell.
- Enchilada filling- Fill your enchiladas with this delicious meat mixture and cheese.
- Nachos- Top your nachos with ground turkey meat, cheese, and beans.
- Burrito filling- fill your burritos with ground turkey taco meat, cheese and beans.
You could use this ground turkey taco meat for so many things. It truly is a family favorite.
We just love having taco night as a family, and this taco meat is where it is at! If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up!
Ground Turkey Tacos
- 1.5 lbs Ground Turkey
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce can
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 tbsp Taco Seasoning https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/taco-seasoning/
- Sauté the meat in a large skillet over medium high heat, breaking up the meat and stirring, until no longer pink. Drain any excess liquid and return to the burner.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasoning and continue to cook stirring regularly until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the meat is coated in the tomato and seasoning.
- Remove from heat, and serve as desired. Enjoy!