Baked BBQ Drumsticks that are baked to tender, juicy perfection are extra quick and easy with only 4 ingredients. With only 5 minutes of prep, these are a winner for both a kid-friendly meal or a hearty appetizer the whole family can enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – The EASY Way!
If we cut to the chase here, there are not very many recipes out there that are as EASY and TASTY as this one! With only 4 ingredients this chicken can go from your fridge to your oven in minutes.
The BBQ Drumsticks are tender, juicy and full of flavor when they come out piping hot and ready to serve.
So if you love recipes that are:
- Loved by kids and adults alike
Then this one is for you! Grab some chicken legs and let’s get cooking.
What to Serve with BBQ Chicken
Being born and raised in Texas we LOVE barbecue and all the foods that go along with it. One of the best parts about the BBQ flavor is that it will pair well with so many different types of foods.
There are classic BBQ sides listed, along with some less traditional family favorites we love below.
Side Dish Ideas
- Potato Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Skillet Cornbread
- Baked Beans
- Mac & Cheese
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Roasted Vegetables
- Corn on the Cob
- Mashed Potatoes
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This BBQ Chicken recipe is as simple as promised! Just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
- Chicken Drumsticks – This recipe makes about 8, so shoot for that, or if you want leftovers or are feeding a crowd you can get a family pack.
This recipe was designed for drumsticks, but you can substitute chicken legs, chicken wings or even chicken breast. The baking time will change depending on the cut, size, and whether it is bone in though.
- BBQ Sauce – Your favorite store bought or try my EASY homemade BBQ Sauce which is super tangy and delicious and takes literally 5 minutes to make.
BBQ sauce is obviously the key component to flavor here, so make sure to use a nice quality one with a flavor your family will love.
- Italian Dressing Mix – This gives it such a delicious burst of flavor and is the secret ingredient that will have people asking for the recipe!
You can use a Good Seasons packet you purchase at the store (pictured) or you can make Italian Dressing Mix from scratch with this recipe in just a few minutes.
- Butter – salted or unsalted will both work. I generally use salted because it is what I keep on hand.
- Line the baking sheet – This recipe is quick and easy to make, but by lining your baking sheet with foil it can be even easier to clean up. The BBQ sauce can make a bit of a mess as it bakes, so this makes clean up a cinch. You can use parchment in lieu of foil, but I find foil t work a little better.
- Make sure the BBQ sauce is room temp. When mixing the BBQ sauce mixture you will want the BBQ sauce to be room temperature or a little warm. If you are taking a bottle out of the fridge, pour it in a microwavable container and heat it up quickly before mixing the other ingredients in.
This allows the butter to mix more evenly into the sauce. If the BBQ Sauce is cold, you can end up with the butter becoming solid again before mixing into the sauce completely.
- Coat the chicken well– Make sure to get a nice, even, thick coat of BBQ sauce on each side of the chicken. This will help there be enough to both bake in and still leave a nice even coat on the outside of the chicken breast.
- Extra Saucy BBQ Chicken – If you like your BBQ drumsticks extra saucy, you can brush them with additional BBQ sauce after cooking. *make sure not to use the same sauce you brushed on before to avoid cross contamination.
How Long to Cook Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven
You will cook the drumsticks at 425˚F for about 35 minutes. They are cooked for 25 minutes on the first side, flipped and cooked an additional 8-12 min to finished.
To be done, the chicken should cook to an internal temperature 165˚F.
The cooking time will vary a little depending on size of the chicken, the heat of the oven and the climate.
If you have special dietary needs, this recipe meets some and can be easily modified to comply with others.
As always, check all store bought ingredients for compliance on specific dietary needs. The notes below are a general guide.
- Gluten free: This recipe is naturally gluten free when you use homemade BBQ sauce and homemade Italian dressing. Most BBQ sauce and Italian dressing are gluten free, but some will not be so definitely check the packaging if using store bought.
- Dairy free: This recipe can be modified to be dairy free by substituting olive oil for butter.
- Nut free: This BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe is naturally nut free
- Egg free: This recipe is naturally egg free
- Macros: The approximate macro calculation for this recipe is- P: 27g C: 15g F: 20g
Freezer Meal Instructions
This recipe can be prepared as a freezer meal. You can keep the dish frozen for up to 6 months for the best flavor.
- Package the chicken drumsticks in a freezer bag or freezer friendly container.
- Prepare the BBQ sauce mixture and package in a separate freezer bag or container.
- When ready to cook, thaw for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator until meat is completely thawed.
- Stir sauce and then make recipe as directed.
BBQ Drumsticks Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making these BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- BBQ Chicken Pizza– This is our family’s favorite leftover recipe.
- BBQ Chicken Flautas– Great snack or dinner idea.
- BBQ Chicken Salad– Perfect for a quick lunch.
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Potatoes– Great for an easy prep-ahead dinner.
More EASY Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my EASY Chicken recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- Bacon Ranch White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Ritz Chicken Casserole
- 15 min Chicken Fried Rice
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2-2.5 lbs)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (prepared)
- 1 tbsp Italian dressing mix (1/2 envelope Good Seasonings mix)
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Prep the chicken by patting the drumsticks dry. If any skin has been torn or pushed down, pull it back into place.
- Mix the bbq sauce, Italian dressing mix, and butter until combined.
- Brush each chicken leg with the BBQ sauce mixture on all sides, then set equally spaced on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then quickly brush an additional coat of BBQ sauce on each side and flip the bottom side to the top. Continue to bake for an additional 8-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- Let rest 5 minutes. Serve with additional barbecue sauce for dipping if desired!
- Line the baking sheet with foil for extra easy clean up
- If you like your drumsticks extra saucy, brush the chicken with extra BBQ sauce when done cooking.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)