This Homemade Pot Roast Seasoning blend is the PERFECT combination of flavors. It expertly seasons beef pot roast for an amazingly delicious meal. This easy DIY Pot Roast seasoning is a staple because it takes only minutes to make and makes the BEST pot roast!
Homemade Pot Roast Seasoning – The EASY Way!
Homemade seasoning mix are one of my secrets for adding a TON of flavor to food, with just a tiny bit of time and effort.
This DIY Pot Roast Seasoning blend is one of the go-to seasonings in my cupboard since there is nothing easier and more comforting than a pot roast after a long day.
The great thing about homemade seasoning is that it takes about 5-10 minutes to make (depending on how organized your spice cabinet is!) and then you can pop it in an airtight container and it will stay good for UP TO A YEAR!
So for 5 minutes of work you can have this delicious seasoning on hand for a year!… or until you run out which very well may be sooner because this stuff is just that good.
You can easily make a single batch of homemade beef pot roast seasoning, or if you enjoy it as much as me, you can make a double or triple batch in the same amount of time so you can always have it on hand.
This Pot Roast Seasoning blend recipe is as simple as promised! Just mix together some key spices and seasonings and you have the perfect greek flavors.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
All spices and seasonings in this blend are dried. If you only have fresh on hand, I would recommend either drying them to be used in this seasoning blend, or grabbing the dried version the next time you are at the store. Fresh spices do not work here.
- Smoked paprika
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried rosemary
This list is short and sweet, plus all of these are commonly found spices and there shouldn’t be anything you have to hunt down. You may even have every single one already in your spice cabinet!
- Key Ingredients! The basic spices like paprika, garlic, and onion powder create a savory base to the pot roast seasoning, while the brow sugar adds a touch of sweetness to balance it out. Rosemary adds just a touch of something special. A little bit goes a long way!
- Mix to combine– There is no special magic here. To make this, you just dump it all together and mix it up. To make it even easier, you can use a mason jar or other container and dump, then shake. Then all you get messy is a couple of measuring spoons!
- Grinding is optional– In the blend of spices that make up the pot roast seasoning mix there are a variety of sizes, from ground to larger leaves like rosemary. You can combine them, but as they sit, the seasoning blend can settle so that it is harder to grab an even scoop out with every spice evenly distributed. To solve this you can:
- Shake or stir before each use – This is what I do
- Grind- Run it through a grinder, food processor, or blender to get the spices to a smaller consistency so that they combine evenly.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. When stored like this the Pot Roast Seasoning blend should stay fresh for up to a year. Some also recommend putting it in the freezer to further extend the life but I have never found that necessary. I run out long before it would ever go bad.
- Double, triple, or more! This recipe can easily be scaled up to make a big batch of Pot Roast Seasoning. This will allow you to keep it on hand for longer periods of time, especially when you start throwing it in everything as your “secret ingredient” like I do!
One of the best parts about this recipe is that not only is is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS, but it is also very healthy! It naturally meets many dietary needs.
As always, check all store bought ingredients for compliance on specific dietary needs. The notes below are a general guide.
- Gluten free: This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Dairy free: Pot Roast Seasoning Blend is naturally dairy free
- Nut free: This recipe is naturally nut free
- Egg free: This Pot Roast Seasoning recipe is naturally egg free
How to use Pot Roast Seasoning
The thing that makes homemade Pot Roast Seasoning so great, is that it can add so much flavor to a roast recipe with so little effort! This mix is a traditional beef pot roast seasoning, but you can use it with other cuts of meat as well.
Main Dish Ideas
Season the Pot Roast– add about 1 tbsp pot roast seasoning per pound of meat. That means this recipe is the perfect amount of seasoning for a 4 pound roast.
You can use this Pot Roast Seasoning for any variety of pot roast:
- Crock Pot Pot Roast
- Oven Baked Pot Roast
- Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
- Pork Roast- if you want a more traditional style roast with pork, the seasoning will work well for that too!
It can be used on a roast alone, or combined with potatoes and vegetables.
Best meat to make pot roast
- Chuck Roast- The chuck roast is the best cut for a pot roast since it is full of connective tissues. When you slow cook a meat over a long period of time, these tissues are broken down and they keep the meat moist and flavorful, where as cuts of meat that are more lean will end up dry and flavorless if cooked in this way.
- Round roast – this is similar to a chuck roast, but is a little bit more lean, and less tender
- Beef brisket– Still tender but holds together better if you want to slice it.
Side Dish Ideas
This seasoning works well not only on roast, but you can also use it to season sides or vegetable for a punch of flavor.
- Potatoes– This seasoning is DEVINE on potatoes. You can do roasted potatoes, smashed potatoes, or even just toss french fries with the seasoning for an amazingly delicious upgrade to boring fries!
- Vegetables– Whether you want to roast vegetables, steam them, or sauté them in a pan, a sprinkle of pot roast seasoning will add so much flavor to the final dish.
More Seasoning Mix Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Easy recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite seasoning mixes recipes below.
- Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Italian Dressing Mix
- Best EVER Taco Seasoning
- Tex-Mex Fajita Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning blend
- Greek Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning
- Blackened Fish Seasoning
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place for up to a year.