This Homemade Greek Seasoning blend is the PERFECT blend of flavors. The key ingredient is small but makes all the difference! This seasoning blend tastes great on everything from chicken, lamb, pork and other meats, to vegetables, potatoes, salad and more!
Greek Seasoning – The EASY Way!
Homemade seasoning mix are one of my secrets for adding a TON of flavor to food, with just a tiny bit of time and effort.
This Greek Seasoning blend is one of the most used seasonings in my cupboard.
The great thing about homemade seasoning is that it takes about 5-10 minutes to make (depending on how organized your spice cabinet is!) and then you can pop it in an airtight container and it will stay good for UP TO A YEAR!
So for 5 minutes of work you can have this delicious seasoning on hand for a year!… or until you run out which very well may be sooner because this stuff is just that good.
You can easily make a single batch of homemade greek seasoning, or if you enjoy it as much as me, you can make a double or triple batch in the same amount of time so you can always have it on hand.
How to use Greek Seasoning
The thing that makes homemade Greek Seasoning so great, is that it can add so much flavor to a recipe with so little effort! I use it in SO many ways, both for main dishes, and side dishes.
From seasoning meat, to sprinkling on something to add extra there are almost endless ways to use this seasoning.
These are a few of my go-to uses- but if you have a favorite I missed, I would love to hear in the comments.
Main Dish Ideas
Marinate and season meat– add about 1 tbsp greek seasoning per pound of meat. Add olive oil and lemon and marinate.
You can do this with chicken, pork, lamb or even beef. Grill it, bake it, or cook it up in a skillet.
These are a few examples of using this Homemade Greek Seasoning with meat:
- Greek Chicken Skillet
- Loaded Baked Greek Chicken
- Crockpot Greek Chicken
- Greek Chicken Marinade
- Greek Chicken Wraps
Side Dish Ideas
- Greek Salad– Make a vinaigrette by combining olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning mix and lemon juice.
- Potatoes– This seasoning is DEVINE on potatoes. You can do roasted potatoes, smashed potatoes, or even just toss french fries with the seasoning for an amazingly delicious upgrade to boring fries!
- Vegetables– Whether you want to roast vegetables, steam them, or sauté them in a pan, a sprinkle of greek seasoning will add so much flavor to the final dish.
- Layered Greek Dip– One of my favorite appetizers of ALL TIME!
- Greek Yogurt Dip– Mix Greek yogurt with this Greek Seasoning blend to taste and spread in a dish. Drizzle with olive oil for richness if desired. Dip cucumbers, peppers, carrots or pita chips.
- Greek Chicken Bites– Great to serve on skewers or with toothpicks for grabbing a bite.
- Hummus Dip– Spread hummus in a bowls and sprinkle with greek seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. This takes store bought hummus up about 100 notches!
This Greek Seasoning blend recipe is as simple as promised! Just mix together some key spices and seasonings and you have the perfect greek flavors.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
All spices and seasonings in this blend are dried. If you only have fresh on hand, I would recommend either drying them to be used in this seasoning blend, or grabbing the dried version the next time you are at the store. Fresh spices do not work here.
- Kosher salt
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion flakes
- Dried dill
- Ground pepper
- Dried parsley
- Dried rosemary
Although this list does look a little lengthy, all of these are commonly found spices and there shouldn’t be anything you have to hunt down. You may even have every single one already in your spice cabinet!
- Key Ingredients! Cinnamon and nutmeg are the unexpected key ingredients in this Greek Seasoning Blend. These are generally associated with sweets, but used in this mix, their savory qualities shine! It perfectly balances with the mixture of traditional Greek seasonings to create a flavor blend that is really, really delicious!
- Mix to combine– There is no special magic here. To make this, you just dump it all together and mix it up. To make it even easier, you can use a mason jar or other container and dump, then shake. Then all you get messy is a couple of measuring spoons!
- Grinding is optional– In the blend of spices that make up the greek seasoning there are a variety of sizes, from ground to larger leaves like rosemary. You can combine them, but as they sit, the seasoning blend can settle so that it is harder to grab an even scoop out with every spice evenly distributed. To solve this you can:
- Shake or stir before each use – This is what I do
- Grind- Run it through a grinder, food processor, or blender to get the spices to a smaller consistency so that they combine evenly.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. When stored like this the Greek Seasoning should stay fresh for up to a year. Some also recommend putting it in the freezer to further extend the life but I have never found that necessary. I run out long before it would ever go bad.
- Double, triple, or more! This recipe can easily be scaled up to make a big batch of Greek Seasoning. This will allow you to keep it on hand for longer periods of time, especially when you start throwing it in everything as your “secret ingredient” like I do!
One of the best parts about this recipe is that not only is is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS, but it is also very healthy! It naturally meets many dietary needs.
As always, check all store bought ingredients for compliance on specific dietary needs. The notes below are a general guide.
- Gluten free: This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Dairy free: Greek Seasoning Blend is naturally dairy free
- Nut free: This recipe is naturally nut free
- Egg free: This Greek Seasoning recipe is naturally egg free
- Low carb/Keto: This recipe is low carb at 0g net carbs per serving.
- Macros: The approximate macro calculation for this recipe is- P: 1g C: 1g F: 1g
More Seasoning Mix Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Easy recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite seasoning mixes recipes below.
- Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Italian Dressing Mix
- Best EVER Taco Seasoning
- Tex-Mex Fajita Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning blend
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Homemade Greek Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Seasoning blend will keep for up to a year.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)