This Chicken Burrito Casserole has all of the comfort and flavors of a delicious chicken burrito with a fraction of the work! This kid friendly dinner recipe comes together in as little as 15 minutes, then bakes hands off in the oven for a warm, hearty dinner full of comforting flavors!
Chicken Burrito Casserole – The EASY Way!
If your family LOVES burritos as much as mine, you have to give this easy casserole a try. It is loaded with tender chicken, creamy cheese, filling rice, sweet corn, and power-packed black beans for all the flavor of a burrito in a casserole that comes together in minutes.
And I love it not just because of the flavors, but because it is so simple to make. It can even be made ahead of time for when you are short on time! This makes the chicken burrito casserole great for last-minute dinners, for bringing to a friend in need, or for feeding a crowd.
Why I LOVE this recipe!
- Quick – I always use leftover or rotisserie shredded chicken, instant rice, and canned soup to get dinner on the table quickly.
- Creamy – The combination of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and cheese makes it ultra creamy and comforting.
- Simple Ingredients – These are all ingredients you may already have in your pantry!
- Easy to scale – If you need to feed a crowd, you can easily double this recipe, or you can cut it in half to feed just a few people.
- So many ways to enjoy it – This chicken and rice burrito casserole can be enjoyed in so many ways. It can be eaten right out of a bowl, in a tortilla as a burrito, or you can add toppings to make it custom to each person’s burrito style!
What to Serve with a Chicken Burrito Casserole
Since this dish has classic southwest flavors, it will pair well with many of your favorite Mexican or southwest side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Side salad with Jalapeno Ranch – We keep this dressing in our fridge at all times. It makes salad SO GOOD, and it is amazing for dipping veggies.
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole or classic Corn Casserole – Both are among our top recipes on the site!
- Mexican Roasted Veggies– Maybe the simplest recipe on this list, but still one of the most delicious!
- Cornbread – This quick 3 ingredient cornbread is a personal favorite!
- Peppers and Onions– This light and healthy side is quick and perfect for the flavors in the dish.
- Tortilla Chips– My kid’s favorite way to eat this dish is with tortilla chips! They will just scoop up the casserole and eat it dip style!
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well-rounded dinner.
Baked Chicken Burrito Casserole Topping Ideas
Toppings are optional, but may be my kids favorite part! Here are a few things we serve the Chicken Burrito casserole with frequently:
- Chopped Cilantro– This adds a fresh touch to the top and gives it a pop of color for presentation.
- Sour Cream– A cool creamy dollop of sour cream is heaven on this hot casserole.
- Pico de Gallo– My personal favorite- I think this simple fresh salsa is perfect for scooping on top of the creamy chicken burrito casserole.
- Guacamole – This is one of my other favorite toppings to cool down the warm and creamy hot dish.
- Shredded lettuce– This adds a crunch, a pop of color, and a little wholesome punch to the casserole
This easy chicken burrito casserole recipe is as simple as promised! Just 15 minutes of prep time for a family-friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
- Shredded chicken– You can use whatever type of chicken you like based on your preference. Shredded chicken breast, shredded chicken thighs, or even a whole chicken that has been shredded will work well for this recipe. You could also use canned chicken in a pinch. I generally grab a rotisserie chicken to make it super easy.
- Cream of chicken soup– I use the traditional cream of chicken soup, but you can also use the low-fat cream of chicken soup for this casserole.
- Instant Rice – This is super important for this recipe to use instant rice. Both the cook time and liquid ratio of this recipe is designed for instant rice. If you change the rice you may need to change one or both of those to make sure the rice is fully cooked and not crunchy.
- Sour Cream – This adds to the creaminess and tang of the recipe. You can use basic sour cream or light sour cream.
- Corn – Canned corn is my preferred way to make this recipe because it makes it super simple and quick. You could also make your own corn and cut it from the cob. You can see my directions for Instant Pot Corn on the Cob and Crock Pot Corn on the Cob here.
- Black Beans – Again, canned is my go-to here because it is just so quick and easy. Just drain, rinse and add to the casserole. You can also make it in a crockpot using my Crock Pot Black Beans recipe.
- Rotel – This is the holy grail of flavor! Using Rotel is another great shortcut to get more flavor quickly.
- Chicken Broth – We need a little chicken broth to ensure the rice has enough liquid to absorb. You can use regular or low sodium.
- Taco Seasoning – You can use a store bought packet, or use my homemade taco seasoning (it only takes 5 minutes to make!!)
- Mexican Blend Cheese – You could use any type of cheddar cheese blend, or pepper jack for a little more spice.
- Use QUICK COOKING RICE – I mentioned it above, but it is worth saying again because I get the question so often. This recipe is made for quick cooking rice. You can use Minute brand, or a store brand, but it needs to be quick cooking. If you want to use another variety of rice, you will likely need to change both the amount of liquid and the cooking time so that you get a good result.
- White OR Brown rice– This chicken and rice recipe will work with any variety of quick cooking rice, so you can use white or brown based on your preference.
- Add the rice uncooked! The rice should be added to the casserole uncooked. It will bake up to tender, fluffy perfection.
- Watch for the bubbles– You will know the casserole is done by watching for the edges to become nice and bubbly. This should happen after about 35-45 minutes but may take longer if you prepared it ahead of time or as a freezer meal since you will be coming straight from the frdge.
- Use a cookie sheet – To prevent any messes, you can place the casserole dish on a cookie sheet to catch any drips.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Make in advance – This casserole reheats great! You can either make it and save it in the fridge until ready to bake it or you can make it bake it and then store it until ready to o reheat. Just ensure it is cool before storing it in the fridge.
- Use leftover chicken– As mentioned above, this recipe utilizes pre-made shredded chicken, but if you need to speed this up, you can use a rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken from takeout, or even canned chicken.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Casserole – You can add 2 tablespoons of diced chipotles to this casserole to add smokiness and heat.
- Beef Burrito Casserole – Instead of using shredded chicken, try using whatever beef you may have on hand. You can use ground beef, or shredded beef like leftovers from our Mexican Shredded Beef or Beef Barbacoa.
- Carnitas Burrito Casserole – Instead of using shredded chicken, try using leftover pork carnitas. You can use pork carnitas from the store, or leftovers from our crock pot pork carnitas recipe.
- Chicken Burrito Tater Tot Casserole– I can’t deny that I love a good tater tot hot dish and mixing it with southwest flavors is one of the best! You can make this casserole as directed, but arrange frozen tater tots (even sweet potato tots if you are feeling crazy) on top of the dish before baking.
Freezer Meal Instructions
Making this chicken burrito casserole with rice recipe into a freezer meal is simple! Follow the steps below and you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To freeze chicken burrito casserole:
- Prepare the casserole by combining the ingredients but stop short of adding the cheese and store it in a plastic zip-top bag, or spread in a casserole dish and add cheese, then wrap in foil and plastic wrap tightly to freeze in the dish.
- When ready to cook, thaw in the refrigerator.
- Add cheese is prepared in a zip-top bag, or if prepared in a casserole dish, uncover.
- Cook as directed, adding an extra 5-10 minutes to the cook time since it will be coming straight from the fridge.
Shredded Chicken Burrito Casserole Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making burrito casserole with cream of chicken soup, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal-sized portions and then place them in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer for up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Chicken Burrito Stuffed Peppers– To make these, scoop the leftover casserole into hollowed-out bell peppers. Top with additional cheese if desired. Bake them for 20 -30 minutes until heated through.
- Baked Chicken Burrito Taquitos– Fill tortillas with the leftover casserole filling and roll tightly Place seam side down on a sheet tray and spray or drizzle with oil. You may need to use a toothpick to hold the tortillas together until baked. Bake for 20 minutes until they are crispy.
- Chicken Burrito Enchiladas– Scoop leftover chicken casserole into a tortilla and roll. Place in a baking dish side by side. Mix red enchilada sauce in equal parts with sour cream and pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my EASY DINNER recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Baked Beef and Mushroom Casserole
- 7 Layer Taco Casserole
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded
- 2 cups instant rice
- 21 ounces cream of chicken soup, (2- 10.5 oz cans)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 15.25 ounces canned corn, drained (1 can)
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 10 ounces ROTEL, (1- 10 oz can)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- chopped cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and taco seasoning to a large bowl and mix until combined. Then stir in the broth until smooth.
- Next add the chicken, rice, ROTEL, corn and black beans to the mixture and mix to combine. Pour mixture in a 9×13" baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes, then uncover and continue to bake 10-15 minutes or until the sides are bubbly and the casserole is cooked through.
- Top with your choice of chopped cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream. Enjoy!