Italian Tortellini Salad is one of my go to salads for an easy side dish for a weeknight meal or a hearty lunch. This salad is LOADED with flavors and creamy goodness with every bite. This salad is even more flavorful the second day after the ingredients have marinated overnight.
Easy and Delicious Italian Tortellini Salad
This recipe is super simple to put together and is packed with flavor. This salad usually impresses a crowd at potlucks because it is a slightly different from your normal pasta salads. My kids even love this salad, and they usually shy away if the word “salad” is in the title. But they love tortellini so why not try it in a salad.
One of the things I love about pasta salad is that you can add or subtract vegetable that you have on hand. If you don’t have a certain item on hand, you can substitute what you do have.
What to serve with Tortellini Salad
This salad is a good wholesome meal for the whole family to enjoy. Here are a few of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Quick Steak Marinade
- Ranch Chicken Marinade
- Balsamic Chicken Marinade
- Hamburgers or Hotdogs
Skillet and Oven Entrees
Hopefully these ideas will get you on your way to a delicious meal. If you have a favorite dish you serve pasta salad with that I missed, let me know in the comments! I would love to give it a try!
Tips for Making Italian Tortellini Salad
I promise this salad is super easy and quick to make. I am going to run through an overview here and add some notes that might be helpful for you while making the dish. Make sure to get the FULL recipe at the bottom.
- Cooke the tortellini per package directions. Drain pasta and run under cold water, then place pasta in a large bowl.
- After cooking the pasta, make sure to run it under cold water and toss it a bit. This will cool the pasta and prevent it from continuing to cook and becoming gummy.
- While the pasta is cooking, prep the remaining ingredients for the salad.
- I like to chop my onion very small so the flavor doesn’t overpower the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and lightly mix.
- I prefer to use my homemade Italian dressing. It has a ton of flavor and is really easy to make.
- You can serve this salad immediately or chill in the refrigerator.
Easy Italian Tortellini Salad – FAQ’s
Can I make this tortellini salad ahead of time?
Yes! This salad can be made ahead of time. You can prepare this about 4-6 hours ahead of time and chill in the refrigerator. If you want to make it the night before or earlier I recommend these steps:
- Cook pasta and store in the fridge in cold water.
- Prep all ingredients and store separately.
- When ready to serve, drain the pasta and then mix with remaining ingredients
How do I store leftovers for Tortellini Salad?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This salad will not freeze well.
Can I double this recipe if I am feeding a large crowd?
This recipe will feed about 12 as a side dish, but if you need more, you can easily double it just by doubling the ingredients in the recipe. If you don’t need so much, you can also easily cut the recipe in half to make less.
Is this salad gluten free?
No, but you can make it gluten free by substituting gluten free pasta in place of tortellini.
I really hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we do in our house! If your family does not like some of the ingredients in this salad, switch it up with ingredients they do like.
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- 16 oz tortellini
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 8 oz pepperoni slices
- 1 cup Italian dressing, see note
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook the tortellini per package directions. Drain pasta and run under cold water, then place pasta in a large bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking prep the remaining ingredients. When it is done, mix in the cheese, peppers, tomatoes, onion, pepperoni, and basil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or chill, then toss before serving. Enjoy!