This Mexican Spinach Dip is a dish full of pure creamy, cheesy heaven! This easy party dip has only 6 ingredients and one dish so it goes from fridge to oven in just minutes. This is fun twist on traditional spinach dip is surprisingly addictive and will have people begging for your recipe!
Mexican Spinach Dip – The EASY Way!
When I am looking for a great appetizer to bring to a party, there are a few musts:
- DELICIOUS – it has got to be extra yummy
- Not Boring
- Simple – who wants to spend hours making just an appetizer?
This easy party dip hits a home run on all three of these! It isn’t your average spinach dip or your average cheese dip. More of a spinach dip meets queso dip and magic happens!
It can be prepped and baking in the oven in about 5-10 minutes and there is just one dish to clean up in the end. How awesome is that!?
What to Serve with Mexican Spinach Dip
This dip is pretty good for all of your favorite dippers. Whether you like the crunch of a chip, or the substance of a piece of bread, or keeping it light with a celery stick, it really tastes delicious with them all.
I like to make a platter of options when I serve this picking a handful of options from the list below, although, you can of course just go with one if you want to keep it simple.
- Tortilla chips
- Crusty bread
- cucumber slices
- Mini peppers
This recipe is quick and easy, as promised! I am going to walk through a few notes and tips to make sure you get absolute best results when you make this.
Make sure to hop down to the bottom to find the FULL recipe card.
- Prep the spinach– Make sure that the spinach is thawed and as much liquid as possible is squeezed from it. Doing this will keep your dip thick and cheesy and avoid it getting watered down. This also goes for draining the Rotel!
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened. This is important because cream cheese blends easily when it is softened. When it is cold it will break up into small lumps, not really blend with the other flavors in the same way.
- Use a large casserole dish. This is really more of a preference, but I really like a large dish like a 9×13 where I can spread the dip out into a thinner layer rather than a smaller one where there is less area on top and it is deep. This is because 1. It cooks faster this way, 2. It gives you more area on top for cheese, and 3. There is more room for people to dig in if it is a party!
Here are a couple of tips on substitutions that may come up. I always recommend trying the recipe as written if you are able, and substitute only if needed.
- Rotel– You can use any brand of tomatoes with with green chiles, but my go-to is always Rotel. Feel free to try different styles such as hot, or fire roasted per your preference!
- Spinach– Fresh spinach will not work in quite the same way as frozen, so frozen is my first choice on this one. If you have fresh, I would recommend chopping it and wilting it down in a skillet or the microwave and draining any extra moisture before blending.
- Colby Jack– You can use cheddar, Mexican blend, or Monterey jack cheese in place of colby jack cheese in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese & Sour Cream– You can use light versions of these two ingredients if you want to keep the dip a little more health conscious. Do not use fat free cream cheese, as it does not soften and melt in the same way.
- Olives– I have to admit, I actually HATE olives! My family loves them and insists they make this dip so I leave them in for them, but I have made it without olives as well and it is still delicious!
Here are a few ways to change this dip up for a new twist on the recipe. Let me know in the comments below if you have any other favorite adaptions!
- Skinny Mexican Spinach Dip– To reduce the calories and fat in this dip, use light cream cheese and light sour cream, then make the recipe as directed.
- Spicy Mexican Spinach Dip– To make this dip extra spicy, use hot Rotel tomatoes, substitute pepper jack cheese for colby jack, and mix in 1/4-1/2 cup of diced jalapeños to the cheese mixture.
- LOADED Mexican Spinach Dip– If you want to bulk this dip up, you can add 1 or more of the following to the mixture with great results:
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4-1/2 cup diced jalapenos
- 1 cup crumbled sausage or chorizo
- Cold Mexican Spinach Dip- In place of 8 oz of cream cheese, use 4 oz cream cheese and 4 oz mayonnaise. In place of 1.5 cups colby jack, use just one cup mixed in with the recipe, omitting the extra 1/2 cup for the top. Make the recipe as directed, but chill for 1+ hours before serving instead of baking the dip.
If you have special dietary need to be mindful of, this Mexican Spinach Dip recipe works for some and can be easily modified to meet others. See the notes below on compliance with this recipe.
Please make sure to verify compliance of any dietary restriction on store bought ingredients. The notes below are general guidelines.
- Gluten Free- This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Low Carb/ Keto – This recipe is low carb and keto diet friendly with only 3g net carbs per serving!
- Nut Free- This recipe is naturally nut free
- Egg Free- This recipe is naturally egg free as written, however, the cold dip modification above does contain mayo which has eggs.
- Vegetarian- This recipe is naturally meat free.
If you have leftovers of the Mexican Spinach Dip (rare occurrence in our house) then there are some great ways to eat it up!
It will reheat well in the oven or microwave, and can even be frozen to reheat at a later time (for up to a month!)
Or, you can use it as a delicious start to a new meal for the family. Here are a few ideas!
- Mexican Cheeseburger- Grill up some burgers. Then reheat the dip and place a big scoop right on top of the burger before serving.
- Mexican Spinach Quesadillas- Spread a generous scoop of dip inside a tortilla and fold in half. Heat a pan over medium heat with butter, and grill each side of the tortilla until golden brown. Optional: Add shredded chicken inside the tortilla too!
- Mexican Spinach Chicken Enchiladas- Mix dip with shredded chicken, then roll into tortillas and place in a casserole dish. Pour green enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Garnish top with sour cream and additional olives.
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes
If you need a few more ideas to serve with this Mexican Spinach dip, you can see all of our appetizer ideas here, or a few of our hand picked favorites below.
- Cajun Chicken Dip
- Loaded Taco Dip
- Crockpot Party Meatballs
- Easiest Homemade Salsa
- Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Mexican Spinach Dip
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 10 oz Rotel tomatoes with green chiles (1 can)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2.25 oz diced black olives, drained (1 can)
- 1.5 cups colby jack cheese shredded and separated
- Green onions chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Squeeze as much liquid from the spinach as possible.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese and sour cream together. Stir in the Rotel tomatoes, spinach, black olives, and 1 cup colby jack cheese. Mix until combined.
- Spread in a large casserole dish (or 9×13 baking dish) and top with remaining colby jack cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the the dip is heated through. Serve hot with chips or veggies for dipping.
- Other brands of tomatoes with green chiles can be substituted for Rotel, but Rotel is my preference.
- Other varieties of Rotel can be used such as spicy or fire roasted according to personal preference.
- To reduce the calories and fat in this dip, you can use light cream cheese and light sour cream, then make the recipe as directed. Avoid using fat free cream cheese as it doesn’t melt the same way and will not make as good of a dip.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)