If you love Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s watch out because this copycat Everything Bagel Seasoning will rock your world! Simple to make with only 6 ingredients, you can have your own homemade Everything Bagel seasoning on hand in minutes!
Everything Bagel Seasoning – The EASY Way!
Who would have thought that the 6 little ingredients that make up everything bagel seasoning could be so magic!
Trader Joe’s may have introduced us to the delight of keeping a bottle of Everything But the Bagel seasoning handy, but we have run away with meals and snacks to use on. It gets used almost daily in our home!
If you are like me, and don’t have a Trader Joe’s close, or just like to save a little money, or DIY things, then this recipe is for YOU!
Everything Bagel seasoning
- Only takes minutes to make
- Only uses 6 ingredients
- Can be stored for up to a year!
- Is so delicious!
So ready to get started?
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything Bagel seasoning is meant to mimic the flavor of the seasonings on a classic everything bagel. While there is some variation of what is included from recipe to recipe, The seasoning (off the bagel) was made famous by Trader Joe’s so that is where we got the inspiration for ours!
What’s in Everything Bagel Seasoning
Everything Bagel Seasoning has 6 ingredients:
- Poppy seeds
- White sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Dried minced garlic
- Dried onion flakes
- Flakey sea salt
Make sure to go to the recipe card below for exact measurements/ratios used!
This Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe is as simple as promised! Just 6 ingredients and a shake for a homemade seasoning ready to flavor whatever your heart desires.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
- Where to find black sesame seeds! Most of these ingredients are pretty straight forward and found at all most all grocery stores in the spice section. Black sesame seeds are often found with the asian foods, not the spices. You can also find regular sesame seeds there as well, and many times they are more affordable than the ones in the spice section.
- Use coarse salt. Using table salt does not work well in this recipe. Because table salt is so fine compared to the other seasonings, you will end up with some very salty bites and some not so salty bites which doesn’t work well. Use flakey salt or coarse salt so that it can evenly distribute with the rest of the seasonings.
- Adjust the Ratios. I developed this recipe to taste as close to Trader Joe’s as I could, so you will find the ratios in the recipe reflect that. If you prefer a more heavy garlic taste, or less poppy seeds, you can adapt each ingredient more or less for your preference. This should give you a good starting place though!
- Omit if needed– If you need to, you can also omit ingredients all together. For example if you are allergic to onion, you can omit the onion while leaving the other ingredients at their current ratios.
- Shake before serving– Because the ingredients are all slightly different sizes, I find it best to shake the container before each time I use to make sure each spice and seasoning is evenly distributed.
How to Store Homemade Seasoning Mix
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning mix can last up to a year when stored properly.
- Place in an airtight container
- Mason jar
- zip top bag
- Old seasoning container
- Store in a cool, dry place
This recipe can be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled if you like to make a big batch and keep it on hand so it doesn’t have to be mixed again for awhile.
What to Put Everything Bagel Seasoning on
The possibilities for this seasoning is endless! It is great on so many things. Here are a few we love!
- Avocado toast
- Regular bagel with cream cheese
- Celery spread with cream cheese
- Seasoning for chicken breast
- Seasoning for salmon
- Cauliflower soup
- In breading for chicken nuggets or tender
- On grits
- On pizza crust
- Mixed into coleslaw
- To season roasted veggies
- On a burger
- Seasoning on popcorn
- On corn on the cob
- On homemade rolls
More Homemade Seasoning Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Homemade Seasoning recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- BEST Ever Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Easy Italian Seasoning Blend
- Delicious Cajun Seasoning
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1.5 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp flakey sea salt (coarse sea salt will also work)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
- Mix or shake well before each use.
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 tbsp flaked sea salt
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)