This perfectly seasoned Blackened Chicken Sandwich has the BEST flavor and blackened crust. Made with a quick Cajun sauce, grilled kaiser bun, cheese, and your favorite sandwich toppings! It’s a quick and easy way to use leftover blackened chicken to make another wholesome lunch or dinner for the family.
Blackened Chicken Sandwich – The EASY Way!
Making quick and easy dinners for the family may occasionally leave you with leftovers and that’s a great way to make lunch for the next day and create a weekly meal plan.
If you have leftover blackened chicken breast, blackened chicken thighs, or even blackened chicken tenders, this sandwich is super easy to come together. You can plan to make extra chicken for meal prep as this chicken sandwich with cajun seasoning will make a deliciously easy lunch. This sandwich is so good though, if you don’t have leftovers it is totally worth making up a fresh batch of blackened chicken.
The buttery kaiser rolls complement the spicy chicken on this sandwich with the addition of cheese, lettuce, onion, and avocado. And just to kick it up a little more in the heat department, my simple Cajun sandwich sauce has simple ingredients and big flavor.
For the cajun sauce mix together mayo, ketchup, blackened seasoning, and lemon juice. It has some heat and some sweetness from the ketchup that blends together to make a sauce you’ll want to just dip things in, like homemade fries.
What to Serve with Blackened Chicken Breast Sandwich
Since this dish has the classic flavors of cajun cuisine, it will pair well with many of your favorite BBQ and lunch side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Baked Potato Wedges – Nothing better than the classic sandwich and fry combo to satisfy your family’s cravings for lunch or dinner.
- Black beans and Cilantro Lime Rice – The cajun spices of this sandwich are calling for some milder flavors. And what goes better with chicken with blackening seasoning than beans and rice? It’s a very wholesome, hearty option for sides.
- Cajun Roasted Vegetables – Keep the spices hot with some fresh vegetables roasted to crispy perfection and seasoned to match.
- Bacon Ranch Broccoli Salad – For a summer bbq, serve this blackened chicken sandwich recipe with this light, fresh, crunch broccoli salad.
- Broccoli Slaw – This will be a cool addition with a crunchy bite, creamy ranch, and crispy bacon next to the spicy chicken sandwich .
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This Blackened Chicken Cajun sandwich recipe is as simple as promised! Just 15 minutes for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
- Blackened Chicken – For this sandwich make it extra easy by using leftovers of our blackened chicken breast or blackened chicken thighs. Make the blackened chicken just for this recipe or use it from a previous meal. This is the best way to plan meals for a week by using leftovers.
- Kaiser buns – this hearty bun is more crusty than a normal bun. It holds up to the chicken’s firm texture and all the toppings
- Cheese – We love to use sliced Colby jack cheese for this cajun blackened sandwich. It’s creamy and smooth. Substitute your favorite cheese.
- Cajun sauce
- Toast the bun – In the same skillet that the chicken is heated in, add the butter and place the kaiser bun cut side down in the pan. Let cook until nice and toasty with a crispy golden-brown crust. This is going to uplevel the flavor of this sandwich with just this one step.
- Add your favorite toppings – This blackened cajun chicken sandwich can be topped with more than what’s mentioned here in this recipe. Add what you like, such as pickled jalapenos, fresh coleslaw, tomatoes, or the toppings that suit your tastebuds.
- Pan heat the chicken – This recipe calls for leftover blackened chicken and we like to just heat this back up in a hot skillet. It brings it right back to life and takes just minutes!
- Use other cuts – The recipe states chicken breast, but this sandwich is every bit as delicious with blackened chicken thighs or blackened chicken tenderloins.
How do you reheat chicken without it drying out?
The best way to heat up chicken for this sandwich is in a skillet over medium heat. We want to keep the crust from blackening because the texture can’t be beaten!
But if you’d like, for an even moister piece of chicken when reheating, add a tablespoon of chicken broth or water to help keep it nice and juicy while warming up. Keeping the lid on between flips while reheating the blackened chicken will also help to hold in all those yummy juices.
Leftover chicken is great to have for so many delicious recipes.
What is the difference between Blackening Seasoning and Cajun Seasoning?
These are actually interchangeable terms. Blackening is the actual cooking method, but also the spices. Cajun refers to a broader kind of cuisine and uses the same spices that you’d find in blackening seasoning.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Blackened Chicken Club Sandwich Recipe – Place the blackened chicken on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and crispy bacon slices with mayo.
- Blackened Chicken Sandwich with Slaw – Make this sandwich by following the recipe here. Then mix together the ingredients for the slaw: shredded cabbage and carrots, ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, with salt and pepper to taste.
- Blackened Chicken Sandwich with Ranch – Instead of the cajun sandwich sauce, use ranch! Top with lettuce, tomato, and bacon.
More Blackened Chicken Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Chicken recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Blackened Chicken Sandwich
- 2 blackened chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 kaiser buns
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ounce colby jack cheese sliced
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 avocado sliced
For the Cajun Sandwich Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- To make the sandwich sauce, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- If using leftover blackened chicken, heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken 1-2 minutes on each side, or until heated through. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and place each half cut side down, and cook until toasty and golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Spread sandwich sauce on the bun then layer chicken, cheese, lettuce leaves, onion, avocado and top with the bun. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)