This Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole is the perfect family friendly weeknight meal. It is quick and easy to make and has a variety of flavors that both kids and adults love like tangy barbecue sauce, sweet corn, tender chicken, and tasty cheddar cheese! This easy casserole is made all in one dish for easy prep and clean up, and can be made from fresh shredded chicken, or leftover shredded chicken to make the recipe even more simple. This casserole is great for a quick and easy meal, but also works well for meal prep, and reheats well for lunches throughout the week.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole Recipe
This recipe was given full approval by my kids! And it should, because the Shredded Barbecue Chicken Casserole was born from taking my kids favorite flavors and meal requests and combining them in to a simple casserole that could be made on even the busiest weeknight!
The casserole is both hearty and filling and still wholesome since it is loaded with both protein and produce. You flavor it with your favorite barbecue sauce and then just make sure it is baked to perfection.
Take the kid-approved ingredients, and combine it the simple flavors in only one dish and you have got a winner as far as EASY and DELICIOUS are concerned!
What to Serve with Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole
Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole, has the classic flavor of barbecue, combined with a twist of southwestern flavors with the incorporation on the black beans and corn. With that said, I think it makes a great dinner to eat in a variety of ways, and my kids approve of them all!
How to serve BBQ Chicken Casserole:
- Over rice- I like jasmine, or cilantro lime rice best!
- Over mashed potatoes
- On a baked potato
- With tortilla chips
- Low Carb options- cauliflower rice, sauteed spinach, salad greens, lettuce wraps
- Garlic bread
- Wrapped in a tortilla
- With a side salad, or also very good on top of a salad
Since this meal is so hearty, you can really just pick one and have a great filling meal, but if you like options you can pair the Barbecue Chicken Casserole with a few different sides. If you have a way you love to serve this that I missed, make sure to leave me a note in the comments to share with me and all of our readers!
How to Make BBQ Chicken Casserole
This Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole is easy to make, but I will go over an overview of the recipe along with a few tips and FAQ’s on making the dish below. Make sure to hop down to the bottom of the post to grab the full recipe card there.
First thing’s first. The chicken! You can make the BBQ Chicken Casserole with either freshly shredded chicken, or this is the perfect meal to use up leftover chicken. You can use fried chicken, rotisserie chicken, or any other neutrally flavored chicken you may have in your fridge. You can also use any cut of meat, so it doesn’t matter whether it is white meat, all chicken breast, dark meat, or a combination. This recipe works well with any variety of shredded chicken.
Mix the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce, beans, corn, and green peppers. I always recommend making the recipe as written, as I think this is the best way to eat it, but you can make modifications based on preferences. This step is pretty forgiving, so use it as an opportunity to pack the casserole with what you like most! If you prefer red pepper over green, or if you don’t love black beans and want to leave them out, feel free.
Once everything is mixed up, spread the mixture out in a large casserole dish and then top with cheese. Bake covered for about 25 minutes, then remove the foil, add the french fried onions, and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the edges are bubbling.
Since most of the ingredients in this BBQ Chicken casserole are already cooked, baking the casserole provides a way to heat it though and meld the flavors together, so we are really watching for the bubbling on the sides which will indicate that everything has come together.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with your favorite sides!
What to do with Leftover Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole
This casserole reheats extremely well so it makes for great leftovers! You can pack up any leftovers from the BBQ Chicken Casserole and pack them in an air tight container then store in the:
- refrigerator for 3-4 days
- freezer for up to a month
Leftover Shredded BBQ Chicken Casserole Recipes
If you want to change it up a little, you can take the leftovers of this meal and make them into some completely new meals! These are all big hits in our home:
- BBQ Chicken Nachos– Spread tortilla chips over a cookie sheet. Drop spoonfuls of the BBQ Chicken casserole evenly over the chips. Cover with shredded cheese. Bake at 425˚F until the cheese has melted and the meat is heated through. Drizzle with additional BBQ sauce, and sour cream, then top with fresh pico de gallo.
- BBQ Chicken Smothered Burritos– Wrap leftover BBQ Chicken Casserole in tortillas, then place them seam side down in a baking dish. Pour your favorite Salsa Verde over the top and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 400˚F until the cheese is melted and the burrito is heated through.
- BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes– Cut a baked potato in half. Empty out 75% of the potato filling then brush inside with olive oil and set emptied side up on a baking sheet. Bake at 425˚F for 15-20 minutes or until they are crispy. Scoop the BBQ Chicken Casserole into each side of the potato skin and then top with cheese. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes. Top with sour cream and chives.
- Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad– Fill a bowl with shredded crisp romaine lettuce. Scoop BBQ Chicken Casserole over the top. Add crumbled tortilla chips, diced avocado, a dallop of sour cream, and a scoop of pico de gallo to the top of the salad. Toss with ranch dressing and additional BBQ sauce.
More Easy Chicken Casseroles:
If you enjoyed our BBQ Chicken Casserole, you may like some of our other popular easy chicken casseroles, such as:
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Bake
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Broccoli Cheese Chicken
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
I really hope that you enjoy this casserole as much as my family, and especially my kids do!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! Not only does it make my day, but it also helps my website when you leave a review!
You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.
- 4 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet kernel corn, canned or frozen
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Mix the shredded chicken, black beans, corn, green pepper, and barbecue sauce until combined.
- Pour mixture into a large casserole dish and top with cheddar cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven loosely covered with foil and bake at 375˚F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and top with french fried onions and continue to cook for 10 more minutes or until the sides are bubbling and the onions are browned.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!