This Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole is delicious and full of flavor for the whole family to love. This super easy dinners has all the flavors of enchiladas in one casserole minus the tortillas. As a bonus, since it is made in just one dish, there is minimal clean up too! Now that is my kind of dinner! Make sure and check out all the serving suggestions and ideas for leftovers below!
Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Sometimes I wonder why it has take me so long to dream up certain recipes, and this is one of those. I love enchiladas but would sometimes like it on the lighter side…… this is the dish! This recipe is SUPER easy to make. If you would like to see some of my other super easy Chicken recipes find them here.
The great thing about this recipe is that it fits all of your dietary needs. If you want to add chicken in the tortillas for your kids or husband you can. I like all the options available with this casserole.
What to serve with Chicken Enchilada Casserole
I love to serve this dish with a big serving of guacamole, pico de gallo, and sour cream. I will share with you my favorite low carb serving options.
- Cauliflower rice- You can see how I prep and freeze cauliflower riceto keep on hand here and my prep and freeze cauliflower rice
- Sautéed greens- My favorite is this easy sautéed spinach
- Zoodles- my favorite is zucchini
- Mashed Avacado
- Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Vegetables… I would use cauliflower
How to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This chicken casserole is SUPER easy and only takes one baking dish. After placing the chicken in the baking dish, top with the remaining ingredients….. and bake! I love that you only have one dish to wash while your chicken is baking.
Can I use other cuts of chicken in this casserole?
Yes! You can use full breasts, but I generally at least cut them in half so that they are half the thickness which will help the dish cook more quickly and keep the chicken tender. You can also cut the chicken into chunks or use chicken tenderloins to make this casserole easier to serve and cook more quickly. If you prefer other cuts of chicken like chicken thighs those can also be used. I would recommend buying boneless and adjusting the cooking time appropriately.
Can I use low fat or fat free cream cheese and sour cream?
You can but I find that they do not melt the same way as full fat, so I would just stick with full fat cream cheese and sour cream.
Do I cover this dish while baking?
I keep mine uncovered because I love when the cheese gets a little crispy toward the end. You could leave the cheese off until the end if you want to cover your dish, add the cheese in the last 5 minutes and bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
Is this dish gluten free?
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole can easily be made gluten free by ensuring the enchilada sauce is gluten free as some aren’t and some are. It is also smart to check any other prepackaged ingredients as well, but cheese and sour cream is generally gluten free.
My sauce is too thin, what did I do?
As the chicken bakes, it releases natural liquids. Let your dish stand for a few minutes before serving and see if this helps.
What to do with Leftovers of Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
If you find yourself with leftovers from this delicious casseroles I have a few fun serving ideas for you to change up your menu.
How to store Chicken Enchilada Casserole
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. I like to portion mine out for meal prepping. This way I just reach into the refrigerator at lunch time.
How to freeze Chicken Enchilada Casserole
You can freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to one month. If you want to freeze this recipe before baking simply freeze the chicken and sauce separately then combine before you bake.
Leftover Recipe ideas for Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Shredded chicken tacos- use lettuce leaves instead of taco shells to keep this recipe low carb.
- Enchilada Bowls using cauliflower as the rice and place a chicken breast on top along with your favorite veggies and a scoop of sauce and enjoy!
- Chicken enchilada salad- Chop up some of your favorite veggies and top with chopped up chicken and avocado.
I hope you like this recipe as much as we do!!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up!
Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Yield 8 servings
This Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole is everything you love about delicious Chicken Enchiladas in a super simple to make casserole dish! The best thing is you still get the flavors of enchiladas and won't even miss the tortillas.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
For topping (optional):
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Mix softened enchilada sauce, cream cheese, and sour cream together until smooth.
- Place chicken breast flat in the casserole dish pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 375˚F for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is 165˚F internal temperature.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5-10 minutes, then top with desired toppings and serve warm.
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier and cooking quicker. Cooking time may be reduced and will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
To ensure this recipe is gluten free, make sure to buy gluten free enchilada sauce and double check all ingredients.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/low-carb-chicken…hilada-casserole/
For more great easy dinner inspiration,sign up for our emails here!
Serving Size 4oz chicken breast plus 1/2 cup sauce and cheese
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Unsaturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 515 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 25 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #easyfamilyrecipes.