Wholesome and comforting, this Lasagna Chicken Bake is so delicious that it is hard to believe just how QUICK & EASY it is to make. Tender chicken breast is smothered with a cheesy ricotta herb blend, then topped with rich marinara sauce and cheese. Baked to perfection, the tender chicken soaks in all of the best flavors of lasagna for an easy weeknight dinner you can’t beat for how delicious or easy it is!
This post is sponsored by one of our favorite money saving brands, Ibotta. All recipes, ideas, and opinions are cooked up right here at Easy Family Recipes.
Lasagna Chicken – The EASY Way!
Lasagna is one of the most iconic flavor combinations, and for a good reason! Rich tomato sauce, hearty meat, and of course lots of cheese combine for a classically delicious meal. Lasagna itself can take hours upon hours to make, which is not really doable with a busy family schedule!
With school starting up, I am doing lots of prep including meal planning, school supply shopping, and getting the family back on a regular schedule. The good news is, I can help you with some of this too!
This Lasagna Chicken Bake is a stellar busy school night meal. It checks all of the most important boxes:
- Quick prep
- Everyday pantry ingredients
- Super family friendly (and perfect for picky eaters!)
- Wonderfully delicious!
This recipe can be a staple on your busiest nights. If you need more inspiration for easy week night recipes, make sure to check out our DONE-FOR-YOU weekly meal plan.
For school supplies and stocking up on groceries, I used the Ibotta app and was able to get a big chunk of my list completely FREE! If you aren’t familiar with Ibotta, it is a cash back shopping app and browser extension that allows you to get rewarded on everyday purchases at the stores you already shop at.
Ibotta runs hundreds of new promotions each week, and to celebrate the new school year, they are giving away school supply bundles for FREE! I was able to get everything in the photo below for free, just by scanning the app! Now that is smart shopping!
Besides these, Ibotta is offering cash back on hundreds of other back to school items for back packs, lunch boxes, and easy dinner essentials! Check here to see the cash back offers for groceries and school supplies in your area!
What to Serve with Lasagna Chicken Bake
Since this dish has the classic flavors of Lasagna, it will pair well with many of your favorite Italian side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Pasta- Any kind works! You can even get mini lasagna noodles to make it fun. I often use penne or rigatoni since it is easy for the kids to eat
- Low Carb alternatives – Spaghetti squash, zoodles, etc.
- Side salad- I like it with Italian dressing
- Garlic bread
- Roasted vegetable medley
- Mashed potatoes– You can even serve it right on top of the potatoes
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This Lasagna Chicken Bake recipe is as simple as promised! Just 10 minutes of prep for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
For the chicken bake
- Chicken breast cut into thin cutlets– I like chicken breast in this recipe best. You can also use chicken tenderloins, or cut the chicken breast into chunks for ease of serving.
- Seasonings– Italian seasoning and garlic powder
- Marinara sauce– You can use your favorite store bought variety, or make your own sauce from scratch.
- Cheese– Parmesan and mozzarella top off the dish. You can substitute Italian blend shredded cheese here.
For the ricotta topping
- Ricotta cheese– This gives the dish that signature lasagna flavor! The combination of the below ingredients combine to make the flavor magic happen.
- Grated parmesan cheese– not shredded! You definitely want grated to mix into the ricotta topping for best results.
- Egg– I use a large egg. This helps bind the mixture together.
- Freshly chopped parsley– Fresh parsely is highly recommended for flavor, but in a pinch, you can sub dried parsley.
- Salt and pepper
- Use thin chicken breast- Using chicken breasts that are thin, or pounded or cut to be thin, will help this dish cook faster, bake more evenly, and remain more tender and juicy.
I almost always cut my chicken horizontally so that it is half the thickness with any of my baked chicken dishes. It just comes out better! I often end up with 6-8 pieces of chicken instead of 3-4 since I cut them which makes serving a family easier as well.
- Use a big dish– You will want to use a dish large enough for the chicken to lay flat. If the chicken is not flat it takes longer to cook and you can end up with spots that aren’t completely done, or spots that are over cooked.
- Don’t over cook- The enemy of delicious, tender, juicy chicken is over-cooking so make sure to cook just until the middle of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165˚F. If you don’t have a meat thermometer I highly recommend getting one. They are inexpensive and take the guess work out of cooking so you seem like a hero with perfectly cooked meat every time!
- Let it rest. Once you take the Lasagna Chicken Bake out of the oven, I recommend giving it 5-10 minutes to cool off before serving. This allows the sauce to cool enough that it can be mixed for the ultimate flavor explosion. The sauce will continue to thicken and combine as it cools.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Pre-mix ricotta– The ricotta mixture can be mixed together up to 24 hours in advance.
- Make ahead– This dish can be assembled the morning of, and placed in the fridge until cooking. If you cook straight from the fridge, it may need an extra 5-10 minutes to cook.
- Prepare as a freezer meal– Use the directions below to make this recipe as a freezer meal.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Meaty Lasagna Chicken Bake– Make recipe as directed, substituting your favorite meat sauce for marinara sauce.
- Spinach Lasagna Chicken Bake– Thaw and drain frozen chopped spinach. Make as directed, mixing the chopped spinach into the ricotta mixture.
- White Chicken Lasagna Bake– Make as directed, replacing the marinara sauce with alfredo sauce.
Freezer Meal Instructions
Lasagna Chicken bake can be prepared as a freezer meal to make on another busy night, or give to a friend in need.
- Combine all ingredients for the ricotta topping. Mix until smooth.
- Season chicken breast as directed, then lay them in a freezer friendly container or zip top bag .
- Cover with the ricotta mixture, marinara, and sprinkle the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese over the top.
- When ready to cook, thaw meal completely, by placing the fridge for 24-48 hours.
- Cook as directed.
For the best flavor, this meal can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Lasagna Chicken Bake Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making Lasagna Chicken, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Lasagna Chicken Pasta Bake– Chop leftover chicken and mix with the sauce. Toss the chicken and sauce mixture with fresh pasta and place in a baking dish. Cover the top with Italian cheese and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Lasagna Chicken Subs– Cut a sub roll in half. Add butter, garlic powder, and salt to each side. Broil until the butter is melted and the edges are browned. Remove and add leftover chicken and sauce, then return to the oven and bake until heated through.
- Lasagna Chicken Skillet– If you love the sear on the outside of your chicken, you can quickly sear the outside of your chicken breast in a hot pan, then place in your baking dish and continue with the recipe.
More Easy Weeknight Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Easy dinner recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- Pork Tenderloin with Garlic Sauce
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Lasagna Chicken Bake
For the chicken bake
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast thin cutlets
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
For the ricotta topping
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Make the ricotta topping by adding the ricotta cheese, grated parmesan, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl. Mix until combined.
- In a large 9×13 baking dish, lay the chicken breasts flat. Season with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Scoop the ricotta mixture over each chicken breast, then pour the marinara sauce over the top. Finish by sprinkling with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165˚F internal temp) and the edges are bubbly.
- Let sit for 5-10 minute then serve warm over pasta, mashed potatoes, or with a salad.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)