It doesn’t get much more delicious than this! Our Chicken Burrito Skillet is simple, filling, incredibly tasty, and is made in just ONE skillet. Filled with tender chicken breast, rice, black beans, corn, salsa, and more, if you love loaded chicken burrito bowls, you will be delighted with this recipe.
This recipe is sponsored by TOSTITOS®. The thoughts, tips, and recipe are all created right here at Easy Family Recipes.
Chicken Burritos – The EASY Way!
Burritos are one of those meals that the ENTIRE family can agree on. Filled with flavor and packed with rice, beans, meat, and toppings, they are equally delicious and filling.
This Chicken Burrito Skillet takes everything you love from those huge stuffed burritos and packs the flavor into one loaded skillet!
This meal is a home run for a few reasons:
- Quick prep– have this from the pantry to the skillet in minutes.
- Family friendly flavors– kids love this just as much as the parents
- Just one skillet for a whole meal! You have protein, grains, veggies, beans, and dairy all cooked in one shot!
- Easy clean up – Yes! It’s just that one skillet!
This recipe is perfect for a warm winter meal for so many reasons, and TOSTITOS® chips and salsa are the key to adding delicious flavor and making it so easy!
My kids have been asking for this meal over and over again, and I hope your family loves it just as much, because there is nothing better than sitting down at the dinner table with a hungry family that is excited for the meal you made!
What to Serve with Chicken Burrito Skillet
You can serve this skillet dinner as is and it is completely delicious, or load it up with as many toppings as you want, for even more flavor! The options endless, but here are a few of our favorites:
- Crushed TOSTITOS® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla chips- Our favorite!
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Black olives
- Sliced jalapeños
This Chicken Burrito Skillet is very hearty and can be served as a full meal. That said, you can stretch it further or bulk it up further by adding some side dishes if you wish.
Since this dish has the classic flavors of Mexican cuisine, it will pair well with many of your favorite Mexican side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- Shredded lettuce/Salad with Jalapeño Ranch
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole
- Mexican Roasted Veggies
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This Chicken Burrito Skillet recipe is as simple as promised! Just one skillet and a few minutes for a family friendly meal loaded with flavor.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
- Chicken breast – This will be cut into 1 in cubes. You can use chicken breast, like me, or use chicken tenderloins, or even boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil will also work!
- Taco seasoning- You can use packaged, or make your own homemade Taco Seasoning, it is SO GOOD!
- Long grain rice- I use jasmine, but any long grain rice will do!
- TOSTITOS® Chunky Medium Salsa – This adds SO MUCH flavor! Since it is loaded with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices, the TOSTITOS® Salsa is really key to boosting the flavor to something really special!
It does add a very small kick, but it was still kid-friendly for our family. As a bonus, one jar is the exact amount you need!
- Corn– fresh, canned, or frozen that has been thawed all work
- Black beans– Black beans are a family preference, but pinto beans and red beans also work really well in this recipe if you need a substitution.
- Chicken broth– This adds more flavor into the rice as it cooks. You can substitute vegetable or beef broth as well.
- Mexican blend cheese– I like Mexican blend, but you can easily substitute cheddar, colby jack, and others. Also, if you like it extra cheesy, feel free to add a little bit more.
Top it off!
- TOSTITOS® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla chips – crunch them up into small bite sized pieces. I love the Restaurant Style chips in this recipe because they are light and add texture, flavor, and crunch without being overwhelming like a thicker chip could be.
- Green onions
- Quickly brown the meat. The first step is just a quick browning of the meat. To do this make sure that your pan and oil are both very hot when you add the chicken. Let it sit without stirring for about a minute, then flip and cook on the other side about as long.
At the end of the 2-3 minutes, the chicken will not be fully cooked through, but will finish cooking later. The goal is just to get that nice browned flavor.
- Use a long grain white rice. I generally use jasmine, but other long grain white rice can work also. This recipe could be adapted to use other kinds of rice, but the way it is written the time and liquids are made for cooking a long grain white rice. If you use something different you may have to change the cooking time or amount of liquid to get it to cook through.
- Slowly simmer. Once you get everything combined, it will slowly simmer to allow the rice to cook and the flavors to marry within the dish. The rice will soak up all of the flavor of the broth and salsa and become super flavorful and tender.
You should for the most part just leave the pan alone and let it do its thing, but you can lift the lid once or twice to stir and make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Melt the cheese. Once the rice is cooked, the dish is almost done. I like to sprinkle the cheese on top and put the lid back on to use the heat of the dish to melt the cheese. While it is melting I get everything on the table and it is usually perfect timing to pop the chips and green onions on the top and have everyone gather for dinner.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Creamy Chicken Burrito Skillet– Cook as directed. Once the rice is done cooking, add in 4 oz cream cheese and stir to melt. Then top with shredded cheese, TOSTITOS® chips, and green onions and serve.
- Spicy Chicken Burrito Skillet– Cook as directed adding 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper into the taco seasoning. At the end, garnish with fresh or pickled jalapeño slices.
- Steak Burrito Skillet– Cook as directed substituting cubed sirloin or strip steak for the chicken breast.
Freezer Meal Instructions
This recipe can be made as a freezer meal. For the best results follow the directions below:
- Mix the cut chicken with half of the taco seasoning and place in a freezer bag.
- In a separate freezer bag, combine salsa, corn, beans, remaining taco seasoning, and broth.
- When ready to make, thaw for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Make as directed adding fresh rice into the salsa mixture when cooking.
For the best flavor, cook the meal within 6 months of freezing.
Chicken Burrito Skillet Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making This Burrito Bowl Skillet, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Grilled Burritos– Grab a large tortilla. Heat the leftover Chicken Burrito Skillet and pile a good amount in the middle of the tortilla. Roll it into a burrito with the ends folded in on both sides. Heat a skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add a pat of butter. Once melted, grill the burrito on each side until golden.
- Stuffed Peppers– Half and hollow sweet bell peppers (any color.) Place them in a baking dish hollow side up. Stuff the leftover Chicken Burrito Skillet in the pepper cavities. Top with cheese, add 1/2 cup of broth or water to the bottom of the pan, then cover and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the peppers are tender. **You can also do this with mini sweet peppers as well, however do not use broth and the cooking time will be reduced.
- Burrito Zucchini Boats– Cut the ends off of a zucchini and then cut in half long-ways. Hollow the middle out of the zucchini. Place on a baking sheet and fill each hollow with Chicken Burrito Skillet leftovers. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
More Easy Skillet Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Easy Skillet recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Chicken Burrito Skillet Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning divided
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 jar TOSTITOS® Chunky Medium Salsa about 1.5 cups
- 1 cup corn (15.25 oz) drained
- 1 can black beans (15 oz) drained and rinsed
- 2.25 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- TOSTITOS® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla chips crushed
- Green onions
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken breast with 1 tbsp of taco seasoning. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken into the skillet and cook about 1-2 min per side to brown. Chicken will not be cooked through yet, and will finish cooking later.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add rice, TOSTITOS® Chunky Medium Salsa, corn, beans, remaining 2 tbsp taco seasoning, and broth. Bring to a boil, then add the chicken breast back into the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Turn off heat,
- Remove the lid, add the cheese and cover again for 3-5 minutes or until melted.
- Top with crushed TOSTITOS® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla chips and green onions. Serve hot!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)