This DELICIOUS Big Mac Skillet is everything you love about your favorite cheeseburger, all made the easy way in a single skillet! This delicious dinner idea, is not only easy, but also the perfect way to satisfy your Big Mac craving, while staying gluten free and low carb!
Easy Big Mac Skillet Recipe
This simple dinner recipe is one that is well loved by my family! Both the kids and my husband love cheeseburgers, and this Big Mac Skillet gives us all the delicious flavors in a ridiculously quick and easy to make dinner that is perfect for busy weeknights!
You can serve it just like that as a filling dinner, which also keeps it gluten free and low carb, or spoon it over or onto a bun for the classic taste. See the Serving Ideas section below, with many more ideas on how to serve this in a way that is perfect for your family!
Tips for Making Big Mac Skillet
This Big Mac Skillet comes together fast. I am going to walk through a few tips and substitutions to hopefully answer any questions you have come up along the way.
I like to make this skillet with basic ground beef. I usually use the more lean ground beef because it is my family’s preference. You can use any ground beef you want for this recipe though, and even substitute ground turkey or ground chicken with great (very tasty) results!
Additionally, I like to cook my meat with onions for a little extra flavor and to get some extra veggies in the kids since they don’t even notice them once cooked and covered in sauce. If you don’t care for onions, or want to lower the carb count, you can leave these out.
Homemade Big Mac Sauce
The key component to making this dish have all the deliciousness of a Big Mac is in the sauce!
It is pretty straight forward and quick to make, just mixing the listed ingredients together. If you want to save a bowl, you can just dump them all on top of the meat mixture and mix it right in!
A light mayonnaise can be substituted here if desired, but using Miracle Whip is not advised because it will significantly change the flavor.
Big Mac Toppings
For the Big Mac toppings we go classic for this recipe, and include the same things you would find if you bought this burger at the drive thru.
- American Cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Dill pickles
You can really get creative and change it up if you don’t mind veering from the classic Big Mac flavors. Try different kinds of cheese, my kids love colby jack, or additional premium toppings like grilled mushrooms or avocado. You can also use other types of lettuce and extra veggies to make it even heartier.
How to Serve the Big Mac Skillet
Easy is the name of the game for this skillet, so we generally just whip it up as you see in the photos, pile all of the toppings on, then set it in the middle of the table to eat.
If you have picky eaters, multiple taste preferences, or you know you will have leftovers you want to save, then I think the best way to serve it is more of a buffet style where you have the meat mixture in the skillet, then you place the toppings out separately and let everyone top their own as they like it.
There are two ways we like to eat this as a family:
- In a bowl- just scoop it out and serve it up!
- Over a bun- You can lay a bun down and spoon it over the top, then eat with a fork, or just put it inside the bun and eat it as a burger.
This is a classic burger feel so you can serve it with classic burger sides, or just beef up the toppings and it can be a stand alone meal!
Here are some of our favorite classic side ideas and low carb side ideas for serving with your Big Mac Skillet.
Classic Side Dishes
- Smashed Potatoes – Gives the french fry vibe but easy and baked in the oven!
- Easy Rotini Pasta Salad – Family favorite!
- Hashbrown Casserole– If you have the time, this hashbrown casserole is another great potato option, and feeds a crowd!
- Corn Casserole– A reader favorite!
Low Carb Side Dish Ideas
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Big Mac Skillet
For the Beef
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion chopped and divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
For the Toppings
- 4 slices American cheese
- 5 oz iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1/2 beefsteak Tomato diced
- 1/4 cup dill pickles sliced
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, 3/4 of the chopped onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until the meat is cooked through and browned. Drain the beef, then return to the skillet and set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine the mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, mustard, vinegar, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder and mix until evenly combined.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and stir until all of the meat mixture is coated in the sauce.
- Top the meat mixture with american cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomato and the remaining 1/4 onion. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
LeftoversLeftovers of the meat can be saved in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheated in the microwave. If you save leftovers, I recommend leaving the toppings separate.
Dairy Free ModificationLeave out the cheese in step 4, otherwise, prepare as directed.
Gluten FreeThis recipe is made with ingredients that are generally gluten free. Please check all individual brands/packages to ensure compliance. ©2019 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/big-mac-skillet/
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)