Alice Springs Chicken… have you had it before?? If you haven’t you are missing out. This chicken is loaded with flavors of honey mustard, mushrooms, onions and topped off with bacon and cheese.
This dish will have you licking your plate when you are done. This is an easy one dish casserole that will be become one of your regular recipes.
ONE DISH Alice Springs Chicken
This recipe has long been one of my favorite meals at Outback Steakhouse. Every time I ate this chicken I knew I had to figure out a way to recreate it for home.
We did it! And it is EASIER than ever, since it is all baked in just ONE DISH!
If you like the taste of tangy honey mustard this dish is a must. The chicken is topped with perfectly sautéed mushroom, sweet onions and my personal favorite bacon. And a chicken bake would not be complete without a creamy layer of cheese.
What to Serve with Alice Springs Chicken
This meal is so full of flavor that the side dishes are endless when paired with it. You can go with classic sides or keep the dish lighter by choosing healthier sides. Either way, pairing Alice Springs Chicken with a couple of these will make a super filling and delicious meal.
Traditional Side Dishes:
- Mashed Potatoes- Try these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes they are delicious and so easy.
- Baked Potatoes
- Rice- Jasmine rice is our personal favorite.
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Garlic Bread- Try my Best Ever Garlic Bread recipe.
- Sweet Potatoes- Our favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is roasted in the oven drizzled with oil and a pinch of salt.
Healthy Side Dishes:
- Side Salad- One of my favorite salad dressings to serve with side salads is my homemade ranch dressing.
- Roasted Vegetables- We like to roast broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and anything else your kids will eat.
- Cauliflower Rice- You can use store bought or make your own. Sauté in butter and garlic until cauliflower is slightly brown and soft.
- Sautéed Green Beans– This side dish is one of my kids favorite and most frequently asked for dish.
If you have a favorite side dish that I missed, make sure and leave me a comment in the section at the bottom of this post.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
This recipe is super simple! I am going to walk through an overview of how to make Alice Springs Chicken here, adding in some of my tips and recommendations for this recipe. Make sure to hop to the bottom of this post to find the FULL printable recipe card.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat in a large casserole dish. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Trim your chicken breast, I would recommend cutting each piece of chicken in half so that it is half the thickness.
- This will help it cook more evenly in the oven.
- Spread 1-2 Tbsp of honey mustard on top of each chicken breast.
- You want to create a nice thick layer
- Combine the chopped mushrooms, thinly sliced onions, remaining salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir to coat. Spread the mixture over the chicken.
- If you don’t like any of these toppings, feel free to leave them out. Or if you have extra veggies you want to sneak in, add them here!
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Then remove the dish and crumble the bacon over and top with cheese. Return the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- By adding the bacon on last, it keeps it super crispy and delicious.
FAQ’s for Alice Springs Chicken
Can you use chicken thighs, chicken tenderloins or other cuts of meat in this dish?
Yes, any variety of boneless, skinless chicken will work in this recipe. You can choose based on your family’s taste preferences. Please note that the cooking time may change depending on the type of meat selected.
Can you freeze Alice Springs Chicken
Yes, this dish can be frozen before or after you cook it.
- Prepare recipe in a freezer friendly dish through step 3. You can add the cheese, or leave it off and add right before baking.
- When ready to bake, thaw completely, and then continue at step 4.
- Bacon can be frozen in a separate container to add to the top as well.
If you freeze after cooking just follow the instructions I the leftovers section.
If this recipe gluten free?
Yes, the ingredients used in this recipe are naturally gluten free. Be sure to check all labels before you assemble your dish to ensure they are gluten free.
How do you store leftovers for Alice Springs Chicken
Leftovers can be stored in air tight containers. I like to store them in portion sized containers to eat throughout the week. They can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.
Leftover Alice Springs Chicken Meal Ideas
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wraps– Grab your favorite wrap and layer the chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and drizzle with honey mustard.
- Chicken Quesadilla– Chop up the leftover chicken, and layer it on top of a tortilla, add cheese and drizzle honey mustard over the cheese. Heat on a skillet until cheese is melted.
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad– Chop leftover chicken into bite sized pieces and mix with toppings. Fill a bowl with chopped romaine, or your favorite greens. Top the greens with a generous scoop of chicken, cherry tomatoes, green onions and croutons. Drizzle with honey mustard or ranch dressing.
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! Not only does it make my day, but it also helps my website when you leave a review!
You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.
More Delicious Easy Chicken Bakes
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Baked Alice Springs Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 6 tbsp honey mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon crumbled
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Lay the chicken breast flat in a large casserole dish. Season with 1/4 tsp of each, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp of honey mustard on top of each chicken breast to make a nice thick layer.
- Combine the chopped mushrooms, thinly sliced onions, oil, and remaining salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir to coat. Then spread the mixture over the top of the chicken and top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375˚F for about 30 minutes. Then remove the dish, crumble the bacon over the top then sprinkle cheese evenly over the dish and return to oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked though (internal temp of 165˚F.)
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)