This Pizza Chicken Bake is LOADED with all of the flavors you love from supreme pizza but layered on top of tender shredded chicken in just one dish for an easy and wholesome week night meal.
Easy Shredded Chicken Dinner
The thing I love most about using shredded chicken is that you can have dinner from fridge to fork in so little time!
You can pre-make and refrigerate or freeze shredded chicken, or just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it up. Any of these options give you a quick start to getting dinner on the table on a busy week night.
This Supreme Pizza Chicken Bake is fantastic because not only does it use that super handy shredded chicken base, but it is extra kid and family friendly and the toppings can be customized to be just how you like to eat pizza.
You can even put all the toppings on half and leave the other side of the casserole dish for the picky eaters.
There isn’t many dishes that are as customizable and family friendly as this!
As a bonus, this is also an excellent option for Gluten Free, Low Carb, and Keto Diets with only 4 net carbs per serving.
How to Serve Pizza Chicken Bake
This dish goes well with all of your Italian favorites! Since it is has plenty of protein and is also packed with veggies, this can be a stand alone meal served up in a bowl, or you can pair it with a side or two to round out the meal.
Low Carb Side Dishes
Grab one, or make a few to really stretch this recipe. Both make a great quick and easy meal that your family will love!
Tips for Making Pizza Chicken Bake
I am going to share some of my best tips for preparing the Pizza Chicken bake, as well as answer some frequently asked questions that may come up while cooking here.
Make sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post for the FULL recipe card.
You can use any cut of the chicken whether it be chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken legs or a combination of all of them.
To make shredded chicken you can:
- Use Boiled chicken
- Use Baked Chicken
- Use Rotisserie Chicken
Really any method of cooking or buying precooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken will work. You can also, make the shredded chicken in advance and keep it in the fridge or freezer until it is time to prepare the recipe.
The sauce is a big part of the overall flavor of this dish.
I recommend using a high quality thick marinara sauce for the best taste. I used Mezzetta brand marinara in this batch and it was really delicious!
If you have a favorite sauce, use that, or if you prefer you can make this homemade marinara sauce ahead of time so it is prepped and ready to go whenever you make this recipe.
This is where this Pizza Chicken Bake gets the most AWESOME! You can really customize it in any way you like, and as I mentioned before, even create a half and half just using one dish to make double the options.
I have listed classic Supreme Pizza topping options that we use in the recipe card, but here are a few more ideas if you want to get creative!
Pizza Topping Ideas
- Bell peppers
- Banana Peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Sweet onions
- Green onions
- Caramelized onions
- Fresh basil
- Feta cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
…. and the list goes on! You can get as creative as you want with the toppings. Have an idea I missed? Make sure to leave me a note in the comments!
There isn’t much you can’t modify on this recipe to make it just how you like it. I have listed a few options for you above, but there are a couple more to point out.
- Chicken- You can use whole raw chicken breasts in place of shredded chicken, but the cooking time will likely double.
- Cheese- Other types of cheese such as cheddar, provolone, or gouda can be used in place of mozzarella. You can also substitute low fat cheese for the original variety. I do not recommend using fat free cheese as it doesn’t melt in the same way.
This recipe is great for special dietary needs and can be modified in several ways to make it meet special needs.
- Gluten Free– This recipe is naturally gluten free. Check individual ingredients for compliance.
- Low Carb/ Keto– As written this recipe is low carb and Keto friendly with only 4 net carbs per serving. If you modify the recipe, make sure to recalculate the nutrition info.
- Dairy Free– This recipe can be made dairy free by simply omitting the cheese. I have a close friend that is dairy free and she always orders her pizza without the cheese and swears that you will never miss it! You can load the Pizza Chicken Bake up with even more toppings if desired, or just bake it as is, without the cheese.
Freezer Meal Instructions
If you would like to use this recipe as a freezer meal, follow the directions below. This Supreme Pizza Chicken Bake freezes well both before or after cooking.
To freeze before cooking
- Prepare the Pizza Chicken in a freezer friendly air tight dish through step 3.
- When ready to make, thaw completely in the refrigerator.
- Bake as directed.
To freeze after cooking
- Prepare as directed and let cool.
- Divide into meal sized portions and place in an air tight container.
- When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave, oven, or stovetop.
Pizza Chicken Bake Leftovers
If you have leftovers of this dish, they make a few extra awesome meals! You can save your leftovers by packaging them in meal sized containers and placing them in the
- Refrigerator for 3-4 days
- Freezer for up to a month
Here are a few of our favorite things to make with this Leftover Pizza Chicken Bake.
- Pizza Quesadillas– Load up a tortilla with a scoop of leftover Pizza Chicken Bake. Add some extra mozzarella cheese and place folded in half on a hot buttered pan. Flip once golden brown.
- Pizza Zucchini Boats– Cut zucchini in half and hollow out. Add a scoop of leftover Pizza Chicken to fill each one. Top with additional cheese if desired. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350˚F for 25-35 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Pizza Stuffed Shells– Prepare large pasta shells as directed. Fill each shell with a scoop of the leftover Pizza Chicken Bake. Arrange in a baking dish and cover with marinara and additional cheese. Bake at 350˚F until heated through.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you and your family really like the ease and deliciousness of this recipe, we hope you will add more of our recipes to your menu soon! Here are some of our favorites!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Supreme Pizza Chicken Bake
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 oz pepperoni sliced
- 1/4 cup sausage crumbles
- Mix the shredded chicken and marinara sauce in a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the chicken mixture.
- Place the toppings on the cheese in desired amounts.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)