Chile Relleno Casserole is a quick one dish meal that is packed with flavor! The tender chicken is smothered in a delicious cheese mixture and baked with the chile peppers right over the top so that you get all of your favorite flavors with a fraction of the work! Not only is this dish super delicious, but as a bonus, it is low carb and gluten free so it can be friendly for a variety of dietary needs.
Chile Relleno Casserole
If you love ordering Chile Rellenos when you go out to Mexican restaurants then this at home Chile Relleno Casserole is sure to be a quick family favorite. It takes all of the best best flavors you love from the deep fried variety and turns them into an easy to make family meal. In this recipe you will find delicious mild chile peppers, tender chicken and lots of delicious cheese. Since you make it casserole style in just one dish in the oven, it only takes a few minutes of prep and is super easy to clean up too!
What is a Chile Relleno?
If you have never had a chile relleno you are in for a treat. Chile Rellenos are a traditional Mexican dish where pablano peppers are stuffed with meat and/or Mexican cheeses and then they are dipped in an egg batter and fried to a golden brown. This casserole takes the peppers, meats and cheeses and bakes them in a casserole dish.
What to Serve with Chile Relleno Casserole?
This dish is traditionally Mexican, so it pairs well with every day Mexican side dishes. I will share what we like to pair it with including some of those, as well as some less traditional family favorites.
- Mexican rice
- Mashed Potatoes – try my Green Chile Cheddar Mashed Potatoes!
- Cauliflower rice
- Green Salad- especially with jalapeno ranch dressing!
- Cornbread– This is my FAVORITE cornbread, and so easy to make!
- Tortillas- serve rolled up in flour or corn tortillas
- Sauteed Spinach– If you are going low carb this is a great option
I hope this gives you some great ideas on what to serve
How to Make Chile Relleno Casserole
Chile Relleno Casserole comes together quickly with just a few ingredients!
First, you will prepare the ingredients by thinly slicing the peppers (this is very important so they are able to cook well within the casserole) and mixing together the cheese mixture.
Then you will lay the chicken in the casserole dish and season it. Next spread the cheese mixture over the top, then add the peppers, and finish it off with more cheese.
The casserole bakes until the chile peppers are tender, the cheeses are melted and all of the flavors meld together. Remove from the oven and serve warm!
How to Save Chile Relleno Casserole Leftovers
To save the leftovers of this dish (if you have any!) package it up in an airtight container. You can also package it in individual serving sized containers for meal prep, or easy on the go lunches. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can You Freeze Chile Relleno Casserole?
Chile Relleno Casserole can be frozen both before and after cooking.
To freeze the casserole before cooking prepare as directed up to the point of baking, and place in the freezer. Let casserole thaw fully before baking, then bake as directed.
To freeze casserole after cooking place in an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to a month.
Chile Relleno Casserole Leftover Meal Ideas
This easy casserole makes a great family friendly dinner on the first night you make it, but the leftovers also can be made into more new and flavorful meals that your family won’t even recognize from the previous night. These are some of my favorite things to do with the leftovers:
- Chile Relleno Quesadillas- chop up chicken and toppings and spread in a tortilla with additional cheese if needed. Grill each side with a little butter until golden brown.
- Chile Relleno Enchiladas- Chop up leftover chicken and toppings and roll into corn tortillas and place in a casserole dish. Pour a can of green enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until heated through.
- Chile Relleno Sheet Pan Nachos- Chop up chicken and toppings. Spread tortilla chips evenly over a sheet pan. Spread chopped chicken and toppings over the top. Add cheese to cover and any additional toppings like corn, black beans, red bell pepper, onions etc you like! Bake at 425˚F until cheese is melted and chicken is heated through. Top with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
- Chile Relleno Stuffed Pepper- Mix 2 cups chopped leftover chile relleno casserole with 2 cups rice. Stuff inside 4 hollowed bell peppers and place in an 8×8 baking dish. Pour 1 cup chicken broth in the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until pepper is tender. Top with extra cheese and return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until it is melted. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy.
I hope that you do get a chance to make this for your family and they love it just as much as mine does!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Chile Rellano Casserole
- 2 lbs boneless skinless, chicken breast
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 oz Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 3/4 lb poblano peppers about 2 peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Garnish optional
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Place the chicken breast flat in a casserole dish. Season the chicken with the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and half of the monterey jack cheese then spread it evenly over the chicken. Top with the poblano pepper strips and then bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Then top with the remaining jack cheese and return to oven for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165˚F internal temp)
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot. Enjoy!
- It is important to slice the peppers thinly so that they can cook evenly in the casserole. You can also finely chop or dice them if you prefer.
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use other cuts of chicken in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be changed.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Comment