These easy homestyle meatballs are versatile enough that they can be used as a base for many family meals. This simple, mouth watering recipe is just ground beef, milk, finely diced onions, bread crumbs, eggs, worcestershire sauce and salt. These savory meatballs can be served immediately, or can even be made ahead of time and frozen for easy meal prep later.
Homestyle Meatballs – The EASY Way!
If you’ve ever bought meatballs from the frozen section at the grocery store, you’ve probably seen “Italian” or “Homestyle” as your options, right? This recipe is as easy as opening up a bag of frozen meatballs, but the taste is BETTER and they’re homemade!
With simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, you now have the tools to make the easiest, most delicious meal. Your week will be much smoother knowing you can create a quick and healthy meal in no time! You can also meal prep these ahead of time by storing them in the fridge or preparing them months in advance and adding them to your freezer stash.
These homestyle meatballs are a “basic” recipe so that you can use them for many different recipes. The flavor is also neutral enough to hopefully not offend any picky eaters you may have.
Why I LOVE this recipe!
- Quick – If you are making these homestyle meatballs from start to finish, you only need 30 minutes. Can’t beat that!
- Simple – This recipe is so simple that you probably already have the ingredients on hand.
- Versatile – You can use these meatballs as a base for a few different recipes such as sandwiches, pastas or casseroles. I share some ideas and recipes below in the “recipe variations” section.
- Can be frozen or meal prepped – You can make these homestyle meatballs ahead of time to freeze for a busy night, or meal prep for the week ahead. Scroll to the bottom for these 2 different instructions.
What to Serve with Homestyle Meatballs
Since this dish has classic homestyle taste, it will pair well with many of your favorite traditional side dishes. Don’t be afraid to keep it simple by just adding a simple veggie, though! Below are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Side Salad – This Buttermilk Ranch dressing recipe is a staple in our home! It’s perfect to go along with your homestyle meatballs.
- Brown Butter Broccoli – You will love how quickly this side dish comes together!
- Sautéed Green Beans – There is no better way to make your green beans. Green beans go well with everything!
- Garlic Cheese Bread – This is garlic bread, but a million times better because the mix of cheeses take it up a notch.
- Rotini Pasta Salad – This salad has a great, but still mild Italian flavor.
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This Homestyle Meatball recipe is as simple as promised! Just 30 minutes for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
- Lean ground beef – This will produce a delicious meatball without the greasiness.
- Onion – Try to get a very finely diced onion to incorporate better for flavor and texture. The finer the better because then the onion will disappear in the meatball. I use a mini chopper for mine to get the best results.
- Milk – Any milk that you keep on hand in your fridge will work.
- Breadcrumbs – Italian seasoned gives the best flavor.
- Eggs – You can slightly beat them or you can just throw them into your mixture.
- Worcestershire sauce – This is the secret ingredient with these homestyle meatballs, so it’s definitely important to use this!
- Lean ground beef will make a less greasy meatball.
- A finely diced onion is best so that it can disappear into the ground beef. I like to use my mini chopper.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Prep ahead – This recipe can be prepared through step 3 and refrigerated for up to 48 hours in advance. When ready, take the meatballs out of the fridge and follow step 4.
- Prepare as a freezer meal – These homestyle meatballs can be made into a freezer meal and frozen for up to 6 months. See directions below for freezer instructions.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Homestyle Meatballs with a Gravy Sauce – before you place your meatballs into the oven, throw some gravy on top of them!
- Teriyaki Sauce Meatballs– use this super easy homemade teriyaki sauce to smother your meatballs in. Serve with a side of rice for the perfect meal!
- Meatball Subs – Place 6 inch sub rolls in the oven on a high broil for 2-4 minutes. Then, add a small amount of marinara sauce to the bottom of the rolls, place the meatballs on top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake your sandwiches at 350° for 10-15 minutes.
Frozen Homestyle Meatballs
Making this Homestyle Meatballs recipe into a freezer meal is simple! Follow the steps below and you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prepare the dish as directed through step 3 and then store your meatballs in a gallon size freezer bag.
- Once ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator until completely thawed.
- Follow step 4 and place thawed meatballs into the oven to bake.
Homestyle Meatball Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making homestyle meatballs, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Baked Meatballs Parmesan – Super easy to carry over your homestyle meatballs to this easy baked parmesan dish!
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce – What’s more classic than spaghetti and meatballs? Make this sauce and noodles to go along with your leftover meatballs.
- Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs – Skip the meatball part and just cook your spaghetti squash and add your sauce and meatballs. So easy AND healthy!
More classic homestyle Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my meatball recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole – If you only have 5 minutes to prep a meal, this is the one for you!
- Korean Beef Bowls – This a bowl full of flavor that your whole family will love.
- Homemade Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning – This seasoning is the perfect blend of flavors. Rotisserie chicken is always a good thing to have on hand, especially if you enjoy meal prepping!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ritz Cracker Cookies – everyone deserves dessert after a long week!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Use your hands to work the mixture until it is evenly combined. Form the meat mixture into 2 inch balls. You should be able to make 24 meatballs.
- Heat a large, oven-safe, skillet over medium heat. Once hot, place the meatballs in the pan and sear about 1 minute, then turn to sear each side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (165˚F internal temp).
Freezer Homestyle Meatballs:
- Make meatballs as directed
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Freeze in a single layer in a freezer friendly container
- Use in any recipe that calls for frozen meatballs!