This Chicken Fajita Dip is the perfect hot, creamy, cheesy dip for a party or get together! It has all of the delicious flavors of chicken fajitas in a one dish, hearty appetizer. This dip is quick to make and may disappear even quicker once you serve it! You can serve Chicken Fajita dip with chips, tortillas, or keep it low carb by pairing it with veggies for dipping. Any way you choose to serve it, it will be sure to be a hit with family and friends.
Chicken Fajita Dip Recipe
When it comes to appetizers I always have been a lover of dips. This new Chicken Fajita Dip recipe came together when a reader suggested that my Creamy Fajita Chicken would taste just as good as a dip. I was totally inspired by her comment and got in the kitchen and got to work.
I started with my basic cheese dip recipe, but added the classic spices that make chicken fajitas so good, along with bell peppers, onions, and tender shredded chicken.
The result was a super easy, one dish, dip that was pretty irresistible. I packed it up and took it to a party where we couldn’t stop eating it!
How to Serve Chicken Fajita Dip
Chicken Fajita dip is the perfect party dip. It is best when served hot straight out of the oven. It will still be delicious as it cools, but if you wanted to keep it warm, you could transfer it to a crock pot set on warm, or reheat throughout the serving period.
You can serve this dip with your party favorites. Here are some of our go-to’s for serving:
- Tortilla Chips
- Baguette slices
- Bell pepper slices
- Carrot “chips”
- Plantain chips
- Pita chips
- Potato chips
Other Creative Ways to Serve
You can always just leave the dip in a casserole, but you could also get creative by using some of these options:
- In a large taco salad type shell
- In a hollowed french bread
- In cleaned bell peppers with the tops cut off
You can choose one or grab a few of these for an assortment of options. If you have another way you like to serve these, let me and all of our readers know in the comments so we can try it too!
The best thing about this dip, after the taste of course, is how simple it is to put together. I have a full recipe card at the bottom of this post, but I am going to list a few of my tips and answer some FAQ’s for making this recipe below.
Can I use fat free or low fat sour cream or cheese in the dip?
There are usually both low fat and fat free varieties for both sour cream and cream cheese readily available in most grocery stores. If you want to make this recipe a bit lighter, you can substitute with low fat/light sour cream or cream cheese. I DO NOT recommend using fat free. Fat Free, especially in cream cheese, alters the cheese so that it doesn’t melt in the same way which is very important to this dish.
How small should I chop the bell pepper and onion?
I recommend dicing each pretty small for two reasons, first is that since this is a dip, you want it to be dippable. With larger chunks they won’t easily be able to dip into this with a chip.
The second reason is that the peppers and onions are able to cook more fully though while baking. The larger they are cut, the longer they will take too cook and sweeten in the dip.
With that said, I don’t recommend using a food processor because you have the risk of over processing them and then again it will cook differently and possibly alter the recipe.
Don’t sweat this step! Just give it a nice small dice by hand and you will golden!
This appetizer recipe is naturally gluten free , low carb, and friendly for Keto diets. Make sure that you use my homemade Fajita Seasoning so nothing sneaky gets in the recipe. Also, it is always advised to double check the brands/ingredients that you use to double check!
Also, not all of the serving options listed above comply for these diets. Make sure that what you are using for dipping and serving meets your needs.
Can I freeze Chicken Fajita Dip?
Yes! This dip can be frozen before or after baking using the following instructions:
To freeze before baking:
- Prepare as directed in step one
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months
- When ready to cook, thaw completely, then transfer to a baking dish and continue at step 2.
To freeze after baking:
- Transfer leftovers to an airtight container. I prefer to separate it into serving sized containers if there is a decent amount to freeze, such as when freezing leftovers, so that I don’t have to reheat the whole batch to have a little.
- Freeze for up to three months.
- When ready to reheat, move to an appropriate dish and reheat in the microwave, stovetop, or oven.
What to do With Leftover Fajita Chicken Dip
To save leftovers, package them in an airtight container and place in the:
- Refrigerator for 3-4 days
- Freezer for up to 3 months
Leftover Recipes for Fajita Chicken Dip
This Cajun Chicken Dip may be an appetizer, but the leftovers can make the start of a great meal too! These are a few recipes I like to use if I end up with some of this delicious dip left in the fridge.
- Fajita Chicken Quesadilla– Spread this dip over a large tortilla. Add extra cheddar cheese if desired. Grill in a skillet until golden brown. Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
- Fajita Chicken Wrap– Spread leftover dip on a large tortilla or flatbread. Add chopped romaine, avocado, and extra chicken if desired. Roll the wrap up and enjoy!
- Fajita Chicken Pepper Nachos– Spread dip on sweet bell pepper slices, top with black beans, corn, and an extra sprinkle of cheese. Bake at 425 until cheese and melted and toppings are heated through. Garnish with pico de gallo, sour cream, or guacamole. This also works great with regular tortilla chips as well.
- Fajita Chicken Stuffed Avocados– Heat the leftover dip and then scoop a spoonful into a the hollow of an avocado half. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top and broil for 1-3 minutes or until melted and delicious! Top with a garnish of pico de gallo. Enjoy!
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Here are a few more of my favorite appetizer recipes for a party!
Hot Appetizer Recipes:
Cold Dip Recipes:
If you do get a chance to try this Chicken Fajita Dip, I would love it if you let me know! Not only does it make my day, but it also helps my website when you leave a review!
You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Chicken Fajita Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 cup finely diced bell pepper any color
- 1/2 cup sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup Cheddar or Mexi-blend cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and fajita seasoning and mix until smooth. Stir in the bell pepper, onion, and shredded chicken and mix to combine.
- Spread the mixture in a 2 qt casserole dish and then top evenly with cheese. Bake at 350˚F covered loosely with foil for 25-35 minutes or until the edges of the dip start to bubble. Optional: remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to allow the cheese to get crispier.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top of the dip and then serve warm with tortilla chips, veggies and tortillas for dipping!
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://www.easyfamilyrecipes.com/chicken-fajita-dip/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)