This Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is the ultimate comfort food! A one dish meal that is packed with tender chicken covered in creamy ranch and topped with cheddar and crispy bacon, dinner doesn’t get much better than this. This easy dinner only has 6 ingredients and is cooked in one casserole dish so it is quick to prepare and also easy to clean up! If your family loves ranch as much as mine does you will hit a home run and have empty plates all around the table!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole Recipe
You don’t get much more universally loved flavors than bacon, ranch and cheddar. These on their own are delicious, but add them together and can you say trifecta? This Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole gives you all the delicious flavors in one casserole dish!
I created a similar Bacon Ranch Chicken years ago when I first started making recipes because they were flavors that my kids and husband love. I quickly found that so many of you love those flavors too when the recipe was pinned over a million times. When I made the recipe I wanted it to be quick and easy and still have all the flavor. It did, but over the years I have learned so much more about food and flavors and I wanted to try my hand at a slightly different twist on the recipe.
According to the plates at dinner time this one is at the least just as clean your plate delicious, and in my opinion it is even better! One thing that makes this Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole the best is that because you use bacon crumbles that are precooked the bacon stays nice and crispy which is the way we love it! Also, it means the whole casserole is less greasy than when you cook it all together. Also, by mixing the ranch seasoning in with cream cheese and sour cream, you get a richness and creaminess that shine through even after baking that bottled ranch can’t reproduce.
So get ready for a meal that is both insanely delicious and really crazy easy because this is it!
If you need more easy, one dish dinners, make sure to check out my best baked chicken recipes here!
What to serve with Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
This meal goes wonderfully with classic all-American sides. The cream cheese ranch mixture that bakes over the top melts down and mixes with the juices from the chicken to make a really delicious sauce that is especially good when you have garlic bread or mashed potatoes to soak up all the deliciousness. You can pick a side or two to serve the chicken with and since this dish is naturally low carb, you can pair it with a traditional option or stick with low carb side dishes to keep the whole meal very low carb friendly.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole Side Dish Ideas
- Mashed Potatoes (these are our favorite recipe)
- Smashed Potatoes
- Corn Casserole
- Garlic Bread
- Wild rice, quinoa, or other grains
- Baked potatoes
- Pasta Salad
Low Carb Side Dish Ideas
- Sautéed greens– Spinach is my favorite!
- Side Salad
- Roasted veggies- Roasted Cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli
- Cauliflower rice
- Sautéed Green Beans
The best news with this dish is that the flavors are so classic it is hard to go wrong with any side you pick. If you have another side that you love to serve Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole with let me know by leaving me a note in the comments so I can give it a try.
How to Make Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
The beauty of this recipe is that it is so simple! There isn’t much to getting a great result from this chicken bacon ranch recipe, but I will go through a few things that I know often get asked here so it will hopefully clear up any questions that you might have. You can find the full printable recipe card at the bottom of this post, and if you have more questions, feel free to leave them in the comments.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Ingredients
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast– This is about 3-4 chicken breasts. You can also use chicken tenderloins if you want, however the cooking time will be reduced.
- 8 oz cream cheese- I use classic Philadelphia Cream Cheese, however you can also use low fat or neufchatel cheese.
- 1/2 cup sour cream- You can use regular or light. Greek yogurt can also be subbed here.
- 2 tbsp dry ranch mix- I usually use Hidden Valley packets, but I also have a homemade ranch mix you can try if you prefer
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)- I always like to add these for some fresh flavor, but you can leave them out if you have sensitivities to onions
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded- Cheddar is my favorite, but you can also use colby jack or mexican blend.
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon (pre-cooked)- The best way to do this in my opinion is to make bacon in the oven until crispy and then crumble it up for the topping. You can make a big batch and use what you need, then keep the rest in a baggie in the freezer for the next meal. You can store it that way for up to a month.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Instructions FAQ’s
Can I use chicken thighs, chicken tenderloins, or other cuts of chicken?
Yes! As long as it is boneless and skinless it will work well for this casserole. I actually often cut my chicken into thinner cutlets, or into chunks to make it cook more quickly when I make this. It also makes serving easier when you have smaller pieces.
How long do I bake the chicken?
For the recipe as written I bake the chicken at 375˚F for 35-45 minutes. The time may vary based on how thick your chicken is, how big the pieces are, and how your oven cooks. The best thing to do is to use a simple meat thermometer and watch for it to reach 165˚F.
Do I bake the chicken covered or uncovered?
I don’t cover my chicken when it bakes. With that said, every oven bakes differently based on size, type of heat, power, and the climate you live in. I would recommend that you keep an eye on it the first time you make it so that if it starts to get more browned than you want you can loosely cover it with a piece of foil.
Can I make this gluten free?
You can use my homemade ranch mix to make it gluten free. Also make sure that the bacon that you choose is gluten free.
Is this recipe keto friendly?
This recipe is naturally low carb. There are about 4g of carbohydrates per serving. By pairing it with some of the low carb sides listed above it can be a very keto friendly meal.
Can I use fat-free cream cheese, cheddar cheese, or sour cream?
You can use light substitutions on any of these but I do recommend against using fat free cheeses because they do not melt the same way that regular cheese melts and you won’t have a great result if you use them.
If you want more easy recipes like this Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole…
I really hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as our family did! It is such a treat to have a meal that is both easy to make and really delicious to eat. If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Yield 8 servings
This Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is creamy and packed with flavor. Even the pickiest eaters will gobble up this delicious meal. It is the perfect crowd pleasing comfort food!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp dry ranch mix
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon (pre-cooked)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, 1 tbsp of ranch mix, and chopped green onions until combined.
- Place chicken flat in a casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining ranch mix over the chicken then spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of the chicken. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165˚F internal temp) then remove from oven, sprinkle the bacon over the top, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://www.easyfamilyrecipes.com/chicken-bacon-ranch-casserole/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!
Serving Size 4 oz chicken, 2 oz topping
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Unsaturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 106 mg
Sodium 638 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 28 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #easyfamilyrecipes.