We love breakfast casseroles at our house and this Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns one is our favorite recipes! This casserole is packed with veggies and breakfast meats along with eggs and potatoes, and of course CHEESE! This all comes together to have an explosion in every bite. The best thing about breakfast casseroles is you can make them ahead of time and cook them when you are ready.
Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns Recipe
Breakfast casserole is a breakfast staple for Christmas and Easter, but also a great way to batch cook and have a hot breakfast ready to go at a moments notice!
This recipe for breakfast casserole isn’t plain and boring, it is loaded with tons of flavors! There are two kinds of meats, two kinds or cheese, and lots of veggies! It is also adaptable if you have other meats and veggies that you would like to add.
By prepping and freezing this Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns recipe (directions below,) you are able to have a homemade breakfast in just minutes, even on the busiest days of the week.
If you are looking for more breakfast inspiration, make sure to check out my apple fritter breakfast casserole, sausage breakfast casserole, and green chile egg casserole for a fun twist on the morning meal!
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole is delicious by itself because it is loaded with flavors but I will share a few of our favorite sides.
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Fresh Fruit
- Orange Slices
- Fresh Strawberries and Cream
You can serve it with anything you feel like. Those are just a few of our favorites in the morning. If you have any additional sides please comment below, I love to hear from my readers.
How to Make Sausage and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
This Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns is super easy to put together. And the best part is you can put it together and freeze it or put it in the refrigerator to cook later.
First you sautés the pepper and the onions. If you don’t like peppers you don’t have to put them in the recipe. You can also add other veggies that you may really like!
Next, in a large bowl place the hashbrowns, onions, peppers, green onions, salt, garlic, and pepper together. You can use either shredded or cubed hashbrowns, both work well, but I tend to use the shredded hashbrowns.
Fold in the cream cheese cubes and don’t mix too much. We want the cream cheese to stay in cubes so that you get nice creamy bites when the casserole is baked.
Spread the mixture in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle the crumbled sausage on top.
Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over hashbrown mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake.
After 35 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and add the crumbled bacon. Finish baking for another 10-20 minutes!
Can this Breakfast Casserole be Made the Night Before?
Yes, this can be an overnight breakfast casserole.
To make the breakfast casserole the night before, assemble the casserole through step 4 on the recipe below. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning bake as directed, adding 10-20 minutes to the first part cook time since the casserole will be cold. Then continue as instructed.
Is this Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns Gluten Free?
Yes, this is a gluten free dish. One thing to remember is to check all labels when buying your food to ensure you have purchased gluten free items.
Can I use Milk in place of Cream?
Yes you can. I prefer the Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns recipe with cream, but it will also work with half and half or milk. Your dish may not be as creamy when serving but the recipe will still come out well!
Can I use fresh potatoes in place of frozen potatoes?
You can but you may find the fresh potatoes have a little more moisture in them. I also use frozen hashbrowns because they are easy and convenient.
Can I freeze this Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hashbrowns?
This breakfast casserole can be refrigerated or frozen and reheats well!
To freeze the casserole, cut the breakfast casserole into serving sized portions. Place each piece in an airtight container or zip top bag. Place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
When you are ready to reheat, remove the breakfast casserole from the packaging and place on a microwave safe plate.
Microwave for 1 minute, then 30 second increments until heated through.
I really hope you enjoy this Loaded Breakfast Casserole as much as we do in our home.
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Loaded Breakfast Casserole
- 12 eggs extra large
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups frozen hashbrowns thawed
- 1 lb pork sausage cooked
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 4 green onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 8 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Sauté the onion and bell pepper in the butter over medium heat until soft.
- In a large bowl, mix the hashbrowns, sausage, onions, peppers, green onions, salt, pepper, garlic, and cream cheese until everything is evenly distributed. Then spread mixture in a greased 9x13" casserole dish and sprinkle the sausage over the top of mixture.
- Then whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Pour over the hashbrowns. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then remove from oven and top the casserole with the bacon crumbles, and return to finish baking 10-20 minutes or until the center springs back when you touched.
- To make this ahead of time, assemble casserole as directed except for bacon crumbles. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake as directed, except time will increase about 10-15 minutes total starting from cold.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation. ©2018 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/sausage-and-hash…akfast-casserole/ For more great easy dinner inspiration,sign up for our emails here!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)