This Green Chile Dip is the best combination of so easy to make and so, so delicious that it is almost dangerous. It is one of my favorite appetizers to bring to a party because it can feed a crowd and I haven’t met anyone yet who didn’t love it! With only 5 ingredients plus salt and pepper you can have this super creamy dip from the fridge to the oven in minutes. The green chiles are mild so they give the dip a distinctive flavor without being overpowering and is friendly for adults and kids alike!
Green Chile Dip Recipe
Heaven people. This dip is heaven.
This Green Chile Dip was originally inspired by my Green Chile Chicken Bake. I love cheesy dips like Spicy Pimento Cheese, and knew this would be similar but amp the flavor up even more by baking it together. So I worked on bringing this new dip to life and boy, was it good!
The result was an instant favorite and I really couldn’t wait to get it up on the blog to share with you!
What is a green chile?
The key ingredient in this dip is canned green chiles, but don’t fear… this recipe isn’t spicy so it is great for a crowd.
Green chiles are a 6-7 inch fleshy pepper that ranges from mild to spicy with a distinct fragrant flavor. The southwestern United States, especially New Mexico, and regions of Mexico are the primary producers of these in North America. You can buy them fresh at the store or canned.
Almost all of my recipes that use green chiles on Easy Family Recipes will use canned green chiles. I really, really love them as an ingredient to cook with because you get a ton of flavor plus some extra veggies when you use them. You can buy the canned green chiles already chopped so it makes for a super easy way to cook.
How to make Green Chile Dip
Here I will highlight the ingredients and instructions with my notes, tips, and tricks I have learned along the way.
Make sure to scroll on down to the bottom of this post for the recipe card for the full recipe!
- Cream cheese– I use regular cream cheese, but light would also work. Fat free doesn’t melt well so I would avoid that.
- Sharp cheddar– Sharp is important. It will give you the most flavor so you can use less cheese and get more flavor!
- Old El Paso mild chopped green chiles- Old El Paso brand is my favorite because their chiles are a bit more crushed than I usually find in the other brands so they really combine well into dishes. If you don’t have Old El Paso, you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Spices- We use a combination of garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to flavor the dip
Recipe Step by Step
Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green chiles and seasonings in a bowl. Make sure the cream cheese is already softened so that it will all combine smoothly.
Stir everything together until evenly combined.
Transfer the cheese mixture to a casserole dish and spread it out evenly, then top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake until everything is melted together and
How to serve Green Chile Cheese Dip
Green Chile Dip is great on just about anything! I made this for the first day and dipped chips and veggies in it, and then a couple of days later I reheated the dip and then used it to make nachos, which were just about the most incredible nachos we have ever made at home.
For a low carb “healthy” version use mini sweet peppers cut in half as the chips and layer this on with some shredded cheese, corn, black beans, and guacamole!
Here are a few things I think would be especially delicious with this dip:
- Chips- I really liked the blue corn with it especially
- Crackers- Brenton makes a nice gluten free crackers with beans that works really well with this!
- Bell Peppers
- Bread sticks
I really hope you love this recipe as much as our family! We will be making this for years to come and bringing it along to pot lucks and get togethers. If you have a chance to try it out and enjoy it too, I would love to hear from you in the comments! It makes my day to know others enjoy my recipes. Even better, snap a pic and tag me @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram so I can see what you cooked up!
Oh… and before you go, if you love easy recipes as much as me, make sure to sign up for my Hungry Email Club. I share new easy recipes each week to help with ideas for getting everything from breakfast todinner on the table and all that’s in between. Sign up by clicking here, or on the button below.
- 16 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce sharp cheddar
- 2- 4.5 ounce cans mild chopped green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- freshly chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, green chiles, and all spices in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until everything is combined.
- Spread in a pie pan or shallow baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes or until the dip is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Sliced baguettes