These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are gooey, chewy, crispy, and the BEST homemade rice krispie treat out there. With the combination of sweet marshmallows, salty peanut butter, and semi-sweet chocolate and the crispy crunch in every bite, they are almost irresistible. The best part is these no bake peanut butter rice krispie treats can be made in as little as 20 minutes!
Peanut butter and chocolate will always be my favorite flavor combination for dessert! I don’t love over sweet treats, so taking the classic recipe for a rice krispie treat and then balancing the sweetness with creamy peanut butter and swirls of semi-sweet chocolate take this every day dessert to a whole new level.
If you love classic rice krispie treats, you NEED to try this recipe. If you don’t care much for them, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats may just change your mind.
Why I LOVE this recipe!
- Level Up – these aren’t your grandma’s rice krispie treats. The flavor and texture level up with creamy peanut butter and rich chocolate.
- Easy – This recipe couldn’t be easier. It just has a few ingredients and comes together quickly in one pot.
- Quick – Not only are these peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats easy, but they are fast too. You can make them start to finish in as little as 20 minutes.
- No Bake – You don’t even need an oven for this no bake dessert.
- Scale it up or down – This recipe is easy to double or half if you need more or less.
- Gluten Free– If you need a gluten free dessert to bring to work, school, or a party, these are great!
This rice krispie treat recipe is as simple as promised! Just a few pantry ingredients for an easy no bake dessert.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use for how to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
- Salted butter– I prefer salted butter to balance the sweetness of the marshmallows. If you have unsalted you can add a pinch of salt in with it.
- Mini marshmallows– I prefer mini marshmallows because it makes the rice krispie treats even faster. You can also use full sized marshmallows or other marshmallows, but the smaller marshmallow the faster it will melt and the quicker it is to make the rice krispie treats. Larger marshmallows will work just as well, they will just take a bit longer to melt.
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut butter– I prefer creamy for the texture, but if you are a lover of crunchy peanut butter, then that works well in this recipe too and will add a bit more texture.
- Rice Krispies cereal– You can use name brand classic rice krispies, or generic rice krispies cereal. Both will work equally well.
- Chocolate chips– Semi-sweet chocolate chips are the perfect compliment for the peanut butter and sweet marshmallow. You will want standard size chocolate chips to combine for the best chocolate swirls throughout the peanut butter rice krispie treat. You can also substitute white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips for a variation.
Make sure to see the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full quantities and ingredients list.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Peanut Butter Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats– Make the recipe as directed replacing butterscotch chips for the chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats– Make the recipe as directed. Instead of using peanut butter, use soft caramel candies to melt into the marshmallows. Then continue with the recipe as written.
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats– This recipe is just as delicious without the chocolate. Make the recipe as directed, skipping the chocolate chips at the end.
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats– To make the chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treat elevated to another level, make the recipe as directed and sprinkle the top with sea salt or flakey salt before they set. This gives them a higher end feel and flavor!
- Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats– To make this recipe without using the stove top, place the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and continue to microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well in between until the mixture is smooth. Continue as directed.
Recipe Step by Step
I am going to highlight a few key steps in the recipe here, but make sure to jump down to the recipe card for comprehensive instructions on how to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie squares.
- Step 1– Melt marshmallows with the butter in a large pot. Continue to stir until the marshmallows are smooth.
- Step 2– Add the peanut butter and vanilla into the marshmallow mixture and stir to combine.
- Step 3– Mix in the crispy rice cereal until it is completely and evenly coated. Fold in the chocolate chips quickly at the very end.
- Step 4– Lightly press the rice krispie treats into the baking dish into an even layer and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. This is key because the chocolate will melt fast
- Melt to smooth – Make sure your marshmallows are smooth by stirring continuously while heating them in the pan. The goal isn’t to over cook or boil the sugar, but just to get it completely melted for the perfect creamy base to get the rice krispie treat started
- Completely coat – The key to any good rice krispie treat, including these peanut butter chocolate variety is getting the right ratio of marshmallow to cereal, then making sure to mix well so the cereal is all evenly coated. This ensures that they aren’t dry (too much cereal) or too sticky and fall apart (too much marshmallow), but instead the marshmallow is able to evenly coat all of the cereal and form the perfect crispy square.
- Add the chocolate quickly – Most peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats have a peanut butter base with chocolate just on top. But these are BETTER! They incorporate swirls and chunks of chocolate throughout the treat so that you get amazing flavor in every bite. To get this you have to use our special little method.
Make the rice krispie treats so that they are completely done, then at the last second, just fold in the chocolate chips, folding about 3-4 times very quickly, then immediately transfer them into the pan to set.
This is so important because the heat from making the rice krispie treats will easily melt the chocolate. We don’t mind that happening a little to give us those luscious swirls of chocolate throughout the crispy bars, but if we aren’t careful and work them too much, it will melt and combine completely, which, while still delicious, isn’t the flavor and texture we are aiming for.
- Prevent sticking – Make sure to spray both the pan and your hands with cooking spray to make forming and cutting the peanut butter rice krispie treats as easy as possible. Alternately, you can line the pan with parchment paper.
- Pat lightly – The number one tip for the best light, pillowy texture in your rice krispie treat is to not pack down the mixture as you put it into the pan to set. Make sure you spread it out and pat as lightly as possible to get the rice krispie treats even in the pan. If you push too hard or pack them in a dish that is too small, it can cause the rice krispie treats to be dense and hard to eat.
- Let it set – The last step is just to give them a minute to set, or cool back down, so that they form perfect rice crispy squares, instead of falling apart or being hard to handle.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Measure ahead – This recipe can move really quickly, and goes even faster when you planned ahead and have everything measured. I like to buy the marshmallows in a 16 ounce bag so that I can skip the measuring on those.
- Set in the fridge or freezer – The rice krispie treats will be set when they come to room temperature, but if you want to speed things up, have them set up in the fridge or freezer to shave some time off of them cooling down.
- Use the microwave – Instead of the stove top, use the alternate microwave directions to make the peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats. It will take off a couple of minutes from the prep time.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making this recipe, then it is your lucky day! They save well, and can be shared with friends or enjoyed throughout the week.
The best way to store Rice Krispie treats is to place in an airtight container or zip top bag, placing wax or parchment paper between layers if stacked.
- on the counter for 3-4 day
- in the refrigerator up to a week
- in the freezer for up to 3 months. (I recommend you individually wrap or pack them so you can take one without having to thaw all of them at once)
How do you keep homemade rice krispie treats from getting hard?
To make soft, pillowy rice krispie treats, make sure to only heat the marshmallows until melted. Don’t heat them to boiling or continue to cook for a prolonged period. The longer the marshmallows cook, the harder they will set.
Also, when transferring the rice krispie treats from the pot or bowl to the pan to shape the bars, do not pack them in. Spread the rice krispies in the pan and lightly pat as needed.
Why are my Rice Krispie Treats falling apart?
There are two main reasons that your rice krispie treats may be falling apart. First, if you have too much marshmallow or not enough cereal this can happen. You can fix this by increasing the amount of cereal you use in the mixture.
Second, the Rice Krispie Treats may not be completely set. Make sure you let them cool to room temperature before attempting to cut and serve them.
How far in advance can you make Rice Krispie Treats?
While rice krispie treats are best when they are enjoyed the day they are made, you can keep them fresh when they are sealed in an air tight container for 3-4 days at room temperature, up to a week in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
More EASY Dessert Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my easy Dessert recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows, (1 large bag)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- Spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the marshmallows, then reduce heat to low and continue stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted. Mix in the peanut butter and vanilla to combine.
- Fold in rice krispies until they are combined. Then very quickly stir in the chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into the dish and use greased hands to pat down so that it takes the shape of the dish.
- Allow to set for 1 hour, or 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator. Cut into 12 squares, and enjoy.
- on the counter for 3-4 day
- in the refrigerator up to a week
- in the freezer for up to 3 months.