These flavor-packed Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls are the ultimate easy-to-make appetizer for any occasion! These bite-sized wonders are like the superheroes of snacks, bringing joy to game days, adding a festive touch to holidays, or simply making your mornings brighter. Made with just three simple ingredients, we’ve taken the classic sausage ball to a whole new level by infusing it with the irresistible charm of Cheddar Bay.
Sausage Balls have been have been a staple in our family since I was a small child. I din’t think there was any way to make them more delicious… until now!
With a quick swap of Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix, these sausage balls reach a whole new level of delicious. They’re a staple for me during Thanksgiving and Christmas, perfect for snacking throughout the day.
Why I LOVE this recipe!
- Minimal Effort, Maximum Wow – With just 3 ingredients, these sausage balls with cheddar bay biscuit mix are a convenient and stress-free recipe to whip up for hassle-free cooking. It’s whipped up in one bowl. With a simple one-bowl preparation, they bake up into deliciously rich and savory sausage biscuit balls.
- Versatility Galore – Whether you’re hosting a gathering, enjoying a cozy morning with family, or adding a festive touch to holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, these sausage balls are the perfect fit for any occasion.
- Cost-Efficient Eats – Skip the expensive ingredients without sacrificing taste. The beauty of this recipe lies in its affordability, making it a savvy choice for those looking to enjoy a flavorful treat without overspending.
- Make ahead recipe – Preparing these sausage balls ahead of time makes it easy to pop them in the oven whenever you’re ready. Additionally, you can freeze them for later enjoyment.
This easy sausage balls recipe is as simple as promised! Just one bowl and 3 ingredients for a family friendly snack.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use for how to make sausage balls with Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
- Cheddar Bay biscuit mix – The Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix introduces a unique and savory twist to the classic sausage ball recipe, infusing it with aromatic herbs and cheesy goodness. Just one (11.36 ounce) box to whip up this batch of breakfast bites.
- Breakfast sausage – I like Jimmy Dean’s ground breakfast sausage but feel free to choose any brand you prefer.
- Sharp Cheddar cheese – I highly recommend using freshly shredded cheddar in this sausage ball recipe. It will enhance the overall texture, intensify the cheesiness, and ensure a moist and tender outcome.
Make sure to see the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full quantities and ingredients list.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Bisquick Sausage Balls – These Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls are a twist on the original Bisquick sausage balls. If you prefer the original, just use 2 cups of Bisquick in place of the Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix.
- Sausage Balls with Cream Cheese – Elevate your sausage ball game by adding 4 ounces of cream cheese to the mixture to make the sausage balls extra cheesy.
- Spicy Jalapeño Sausage Balls – Turn up the heat with a spicy variation by adding 1/2 cup of diced jalapeños to the mix. This version brings a kick of heat to the savory sausage balls, adding a zesty and flavorful twist to your usual snack.
- Maple Glazed Sausage Balls – Add a touch of sweetness to your sausage balls with a maple glaze. 1/4 cup maple syrup in the butter mixture and brush over sausage balls after they come out of the oven.
Recipe Step by Step
I am going to highlight a few key steps in the recipe here, but make sure to jump down to the recipe card for comprehensive instructions on how to make breakfast sausage balls with cheddar bay biscuit mix.
- Step 1: Add the biscuit mix with seasoning pack to a mixing bowl with your breakfast sausage and freshly grated cheddar cheese.
- Step 2: You can use a masher or stand mixer with a paddle attachment to combine the mixture, but I find it best to just get my hands in the to ensure everything is evenly mixed. You can squeeze and toss until it is fully combined. It may seem like it’s not coming together at first, but just keep working on the sausage mix, and it will come together perfectly!
- Step 3: Squeeze some of the biscuit sausage mixture in your hands to create small 2-inch balls that are well-formed and compacted.
- Step 4: Line your sausage balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet about ½ inch apart. They will puff up just a bit, but you can still place them fairly close together. You should end up with around 32 cheddar bay sausage balls, which means you may need two trays.
- Use Freshly Shredded Cheese – As mentioned previously, opt for freshly shredded cheese for a smoother melt and enhanced flavor in your sausage balls.
- Bake on Parchment Paper – Line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and to prevent sticking.
- Uniform Ball Sizes – Ensure uniform sizes for your sausage balls to ensure even baking and a consistent texture. You can use a cookie scoop to get even-sized balls, but you’ll want to make sure to still roll the mix in your hands to get the right texture.
- Monitor Baking Time – Keep a close eye on the baking time to prevent overcooking and ensure the sausage balls remain moist and flavorful.
- Pair them with your favorite dipping sauce – Try pairing them with breakfast gravy, marinara sauce, queso, honey mustard, or even ketchup for the kiddos! The choice of dipping sauce can complement the savory goodness of the sausage balls, adding an extra layer of taste to every bite. Feel free to experiment and find your perfect dipping match!
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Prep Ahead for Convenience – Make the sausage ball mixture in advance to save time, allowing the flavors to meld for a more delicious outcome.
- Frozen Sausage Balls – Another option when making them ahead of time is to simply make a larger batch and freeze portions for future use, allowing for instant snacks or appetizers.
- Pre-Shredded Cheese – While I highly recommend freshly shredded cheese, I know it can be time-consuming. Instead, use pre-shredded cheese to skip the shredding step, streamlining the process and getting these delicious breakfast sausage biscuit balls into the oven even quicker!
Freezer Meal Instructions
Making this red lobster cheddar bay sausage ball recipe into a freezer meal is simple! Follow the steps below and you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To freeze before cooking
- Prepare the sausage balls – Follow the recipe and place the shaped uncooked sausage balls on a baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other. This initial freezing step prevents them from sticking together.
- Flash Freeze – Pop the baking sheet into the freezer for about 1-2 hours. This process, known as flash freezing, ensures that the sausage balls freeze individually.
- Transfer to a Freezer Bag or Container – Once the sausage balls are firm, transfer them into a freezer bag or airtight container.
Bake from Frozen – When ready to enjoy, there’s no need to thaw. Simply preheat the oven, place the frozen sausage balls on a baking sheet, and bake according to your recipe’s instructions, adding a few extra minutes to account for the frozen state.
How to Freeze Breakfast Sausage Biscuit Balls After Cooking
- Cool Completely – Allow the cooked sausage balls to cool completely to room temperature. This helps retain their texture when frozen and prevents condensation in the freezer.
- Arrange on a Baking Sheet – Place the cooled sausage balls on a baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching each other. This initial freezing step prevents them from sticking together.
- Flash Freeze – Put the baking sheet in the freezer for about 1-2 hours. Flash freezing individually ensures they won’t freeze into a solid mass.
- Transfer to Freezer Bag or Container – Once the sausage balls are partially frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag or airtight container.
Reheat precooked sausage balls from Frozen: When you’re ready to enjoy them, there’s no need to thaw. Preheat the oven, place the frozen sausage balls on a baking sheet, and bake until heated through, usually adding a few extra minutes to account for the frozen state.
What to Serve with Jimmy Dean Sausage Balls
These make a hearty appetizer or delicious breakfast bite. These go well on a holiday table, a potluck, or at a breakfast or brunch.
Choose one or several of these side dishes to create a wholesome, well-rounded meal. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Breakfast Side Dish Ideas
- Cracker Barrel Hasbrown Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins with Broccoli
- Million Dollar Bacon
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Scrambled Eggs
- French Toast Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel
- Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserole
- Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Party Appetizer Ideas
Cheddar Bay Biscuit Sausage Balls Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making this recipe, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Can I Make a Vegetarian Version?
Certainly! Replace the sausage with a plant-based sausage alternative, and consider adding flavorful ingredients like diced mushrooms, spinach, or vegan cheese for a tasty vegetarian version.
Can I Use Different Cheese Varieties?
Absolutely. While sharp cheddar is classic, you can experiment with other cheeses like pepper jack, mozzarella, or a blend of your favorites for a unique flavor profile.
How Long Should I Bake Sausage Balls?
Bake sausage balls in a preheated oven at 350°F for approximately 18-22 minutes or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Can I Make Mini Sausage Balls?
Certainly! Adjust the size of the balls to create mini versions for bite-sized snacks, perfect for parties or appetizer platters.
More EASY Breakfast Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my easy breakfast recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
- 1 box Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, (11.36 ounce)
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup milk, as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, the breakfast sausage, and cheddar cheese together. Use your hands to work the mixture until it holds together. Add milk a little at a time if needed to moisten the dough and help it come together.
- Grab a small amount of the dough and squeeze it tightly with your hand to bring the dough together, then roll it between your hands to make about a 2 inch ball. Repeat with the dough until you form 32 sausage balls.
- Place the sausage balls about 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet. The will expand slightly, but not much so they can be baked fairly close together. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until cooked through.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of butter with the included seasoning packet and mix. Once the Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls come out of the oven, brush with the garlic butter mixture.