- 3 bell peppers large
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage mild
- 8 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning dried
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg large
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage and beef over medium heat, breaking up as you go.
- Once the meat is no longer pink, drain the grease and return the meat to the skillet. Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then cook over medium heat, stirring regularly for 3-5 minutes.
- To make the ricotta topping, combine the ricotta, parsley, 1/4 cup parmesan, and egg and mix until combined.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the stem, ribs and seeds and rinse them off. Place them cut side up, in a large casserole dish.
- Fill the hollow of each pepper with 1/6th of the meat mixture.
- Make a divot in the middle of the meat, and add a generous spoonful of the ricotta. Top each pepper with mozzarella cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes or until the peppers are tender. Optional: At the end, turn the oven to broil for 1-3 additional minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley if desired. To serve remove peppers from the broth and serve with rice, pasta, cauliflower, or zoodles. Enjoy!
To save leftovers:Package in an airtight container and place in the:
- Refrigerator for 3-4 days
- Freezer for up to a month
To Freeze Before Cooking:
- Prepare peppers through topping with cheese (step 6).
- Place the peppers in a freezer bag, or air tight container.
- Once ready to cook, thaw completely.
- Place peppers in a baking dish and add 1 cup of broth to the dish. (continue at step 7)
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes.
To Freeze After Cooking:
- Let peppers cool completely.
- Package them in an air tight container or zip top bag.
- When ready to reheat, remove from freezer and reheat in microwave or oven.