- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage mild
- 15 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning dried
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp parsely fresh, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage and beef over medium heat, breaking up as you go.
- Once the meat is no longer pink, drain the grease and return the meat to the skillet. Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly for 3-5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, mixing until it is melted and combined. Then remove from heat.
- To make the ricotta topping, combine the ricotta, parsley, 1/4 cup parmesan, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and mix until combined.
- Smooth the meat mixture out and spread the ricotta over top in an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Transfer skillet to oven and bake uncovered at 425˚F for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and is heated through. Optional, turn the oven to broil for an additional 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese on top as pictured.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley if desired. Serve over pasta or sautéed spinach. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.