- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernals canned or frozen
- 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/4 cup diced jarred jalapeños optional
- 3 cloves fresh garlic pressed
- 2 tbsp italian dressing mix divided
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cilantro optional
- Lay the chicken breast flat in a casserole dish, then sprinkle 1 tbsp of the italian dressing seasoning over the top.
- In a bowl, mix the black beans, black eyed peas, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, oil, lime juice, and the remaining 1 tbsp dressing mix until combined.
- Spread the bean mixture over the seasoned chicken. Bake uncovered on the middle rack at 375˚F for 45-55 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp 165˚F)
- 5 minutes before the baking is finished, remove the dish and cover the top evenly with cheese and return to the oven to cook until done.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
This recipe is naturally gluten free when using homemade Italian Dressing Mix. Please check all packages of products bought to ensure compliance.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 Easy Family Recipes- Recipe found at: https://www.easyfamilyrecipes.com/cowboy-chicken/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!