- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt, and mix to combine.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing well between each addition.
- Use a rounded tablespoon to scoop dough then form into a ball and slightly flatten each cookie into a thick disc. Arrange 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat liner.
- Bake at 350˚F for 9-11 minutes or until the center is just set. Cookies will continue to bake after they are removed from the oven, so they may not seem completely done when you remove them.
- Let cool 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
- The dough should not be sticky and should not be crumbly. If it is sugar cookie dough is sticky, mix in flour one tablespoon at a time until it is not sticky. If the sugar cookie dough is crumbly, mix in water one teaspoon at a time until the dough holds together.
- Do NOT over bake these cookies. Part of what makes them soft is retaining the moisture in the cookie. The cookies continue to bake as they cool, so you will want to bake them so that the edges are done and the center is just set and loses it's sheen. It will seem soft in the center when you remove them, but as the cool the center continues to bake and ends up to be the most soft and delicious cookie.
- Optional: Roll the cookies in sugar or add sprinkles on top before baking and lightly press them into the tops. Bake as directed