This is the BEST at home Chopped Brisket Sandwich recipe! Made with leftover BBQ Brisket, a toasted sub roll, and a quick and easy jalapeno coleslaw, this sandwich is piled high with flavor! The combination of savory brisket, tangy BBQ sauce, and zesty jalapeno slaw is a match made in heaven.
Brisket Sandwich – The EASY Way!
If you are wondering what to do with leftover brisket, you found one of the most delicious ways to use it! Whether you made my Crock Pot BBQ Brisket, or just have brisket leftover from your favorite barbecue joint, this is the perfect recipe to give it new life in just minutes!
If you need more leftover brisket ideas, make sure to try my BBQ Brisket Tacos!
Why I LOVE this recipe!
- Gives leftovers new life– Even the best dinners can be boring when you eat the same leftovers time and again, this turns the leftovers into something new and exciting!
- Easy to scale– This recipe makes two large sandwiches, but you can make anything from a small sandwich to many sandwiches easily by scaling up or down.
- Customize for each person– You can customize the toppings for each person in the family. If your kiddo doesn’t like slaw, it is easy to leave it off, or you can pile on even more toppings for anyone who wants them.
- Take it on the go– These sandwiches are easy to pack up and go for a extra-delicious meal on the run.
What to Serve with Brisket Sandwiches
Since this dish has the classic flavors of BBQ brisket, it will pair well with many of your favorite BBQ side dishes as well as classic sandwich sides. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
Side Dish Ideas
- Chips- You can’t go wrong with potato chips!
- Side salad- Try a green salad with this homemade jalapeno ranch. SO GOOD!!
- Baked Potato Wedges– These feel like french fries but they are baked and so quick and easy!
- Corn and Avocado Salad– Love this light and easy salad.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad– This pairs well with any BBQ dish
- Garlic Roasted Vegetables– My easy go to! We have them in the fridge almost always!
- Broccoli Slaw– Love this easy recipe!
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded meal.
This Chopped Brisket Sandwich recipe is as simple as promised! Just grab your leftover brisket and get ready for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
Ingredients + Substitutions
For the Jalapeno Slaw
- Sub rolls cut in half– I like to grab a nice white sub roll from the bakery section of my local grocery store. You can also find pre-packaged sub rolls in the bread section.
- Leftover brisket– You can use leftovers from my crockpot brisket, or any other leftover brisket you may have.
- BBQ sauce– If you are using leftovers from the crockpot brisket, the meat should already be pretty saucy. You can use a little of the excess sauce to spread on the rolls.
- Red onion– Red is my favorite on sandwiches, but you can sub yellow, white, or sweet onions.
For the Jalapeno Slaw
- Tri-color coleslaw mix– I like to buy the packaged mix just to save time. If they have it the finely shredded is my favorite! If you prefer you can also use freshly shredded cabbage in place of coleslaw mix.
- Mayonnaise– Use the real stuff! I promise it tastes better!
- Pickled jalapeno– You can buy the jalapeno already diced in a jar, or if you get sliced, you can just whip out a knife and dice it up yourself. I find that the jarred jalapeno is better for this recipe than fresh because we use the jalapeno juice as the acid to make the coleslaw.
- White sugar– This will help balance out the bite of the vinegar. If you prefer it extra tangy, you can leave the sugar out.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toast the bun– This is such a simple step, but it really makes the brisket sandwich so much better! It will help to crisp up the edges while keeping the inside of the bread soft and extra delicious!
- Heat the brisket– You can actually eat this sandwich hot or cold, but if you do want it hot (my preference) you want to heat the brisket separately in the microwave or on the stove top before adding it to the sandwich.
- Let the slaw sit– I always make the slaw first so it can have a few minutes to let the flavors really blend. You can actually make it in advance if it is convenient.
- Add extras– You can add any extras like cheese, pickles, or tomato you want to make the sandwich your own!
- Au Jus for dipping– If you made my Slow Cooker Brisket recipe, you should have leftover sauce from the bottom of the slow cooker. If you are using other brisket, you can make an au jus dip by thinning BBQ sauce with beef broth.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Make the jalapeno slaw ahead – You can prepare the jalapeno coleslaw for the brisket sandwich up to 3 days in advance! Just keep it chilled in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Portion the brisket– When storing your leftover brisket, I think it saves a lot of time to pre-portion it while putting it away. That makes it easy to just grab what you need to get started on a recipe!
More EASY Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, I really hope you will take a moment to grab a few more easy recipes for another busy night!
You can check out all of my Easy Dinner recipes here, or see a few of our readers favorite recipes below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
Chopped Brisket Sandwich with Jalapeno Slaw
For the Brisket Sandwich
- 2 sub rolls cut in half
- 16 ounces leftover brisket
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1/4 red onion sliced
For the Jalapeno Slaw
- 2 cups tri-color coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno juice
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
To make the Jalapeno Slaw
- To make the dressing combine mayonnaise, jalapeno juice, diced jalapenos, and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Toss coleslaw mixture with dressing and set aside.
To assemble the sandwich
- Place sub rolls cut side up in the oven and broil foe 2-3 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Chop brisket into small bite sized pieces. Heat the brisket in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove top.
- Spread BBQ sauce over the cut side of the roll. Pile on chopped brisket, sliced onion and jalapeno slaw. Place the top on the sub roll.
- Use the leftover juices from cooking the BBQ brisket as a dipping sauce. If you don't have any juices from cooking you can thin BBQ sauce with beef broth for an au jus to dip the brisket sandwich in.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)